Salmon Trolling Fly Pattern

Lure modification. From taping and painting to manufacturing your own fishing lures.
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Salmon Trolling Fly Pattern

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

I have been tying for less than a year now, which is actually longer than I've been a salmon fisherman. Obviously I am a long ways from being an expert of either skill. But I'm successful enough at both that I can catch salmon on my own flies and my own fly patterns. Of course, the patterns are just variations of gray ghost which might be on of the most tried and true salmon streamer ever - but what do I know, I'm just an amateur.

The traditional gray ghost streamer consists of hackle feathers, peacock hearls, and bucktail with a silver pheasant for a gill, and imitation jungle cock for eyes. I usually substitute flashabou for one of the longer pieces. I frequently leave out the silver pheasant. In general, I try to keep the appearance streamline without any bulk - both flies in the photo are a little bulkier than I like. I always use the jungle cock eyes.

Black Ghost (Ken)
Black Ghost (Ken)

Re: Salmon Trolling Fly Pattern

And I forgot the hook size:

I use a Mustad 94720 #6.

I used to do the tandem hooks but its a pain to build out, uses twice the hooks (not cheap), and I don't think they look that good (at least when I make them).

Ken
Black Ghost (Ken)
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Thanks for the post Ken, If you could edit and list a list of materials I know everyone then could have a recipe to duplicate your success!

Look at some of my recipe posts including the head item giving how may turns of thread etc.

Sparse flies have worked best in Champlain forever which you have been very quick to note!

Great job now name them and catalog them so someone can say Hey Ken, tie me up some Mad Dog's !

Keep going and fishing..

Famous fly tier and fisherman Bob Lawless said " If I'm not going to catch anything then I'd rather not catch anything on Flies"
Fish On!
Heijac
Species: All

Post by Heijac »

Very nice Ken! Just to throw my 2 cents in here, there are definitely times when flies will outfish spoons. Years ago, when we did'nt have awesome forums like this to share info with our fellow anglers, I had a season where flies were killing the salmon, and you could'nt buy one on a spoon. The problem was, there were not alot of options around to buy (and I did'nt know Randy!). So, I decided to try tying my own. I'm the first to admit, I am not an artist at this like these guys, but over the years, I have accumulated enough stuff that I can try and "match the hatch" when certain color combos are hot. All I have is a big box full of different color bucktails, some gold and silver tubing for bodies, and some hooks. As you can see, my wrapping is sloppy, they certainly are'nt pretty, but they work! This fall, I had a stretch where purple/gold and purple/copper was hot, so I made up some flies to try, and had a couple really good weeks with them, including my best fish on LC.

Black Ghost (Ken)

Heijac:

Try adding on the jungle cock eyes to your pattern for kicks. You can buy the plastic ones from Classic Outfitters.

Ken
Black Ghost (Ken)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Very nice looking work Ken and Randy... Thanks for the looks..
Matt B
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Nice job guys.
See you on the pond!
drachma
Species: Salmon, Lake Trout

Post by drachma »

Ken,

It was great getting to meet you, Sherry, and your daughter the other night. Your flies look very good. I started tying flies when I was 14. I haven't tied for quite some time, but, between talking to you and seeing your and Randy's flies it getting the juices rolling again.

Keep it up.

Michael
dragnballs
Species: if it swims, Iwill fish for it

Post by dragnballs »

Ken, just wanted to say once again that you and your family tie some nice looking flies(loved that one that your daughter tied with the pink in it!!) and thanks for the one that you gave me!
Kevin
Black Ghost (Ken)

My lastest colors. I can't wait to try them. I'll have some at the 3/2 taping session for anyone who wants one.

Ken

Black Ghost (Ken)
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Post by voyager »

Ken - your new creation is a beauty, thanks of the sample! It's given me some ideas for single hook feather wing patterns. I find that the single hook streamers work great in the prop wash.
Black Ghost (Ken)

voyager wrote:Ken - your new creation is a beauty, thanks of the sample! It's given me some ideas for single hook feather wing patterns. I find that the single hook streamers work great in the prop wash.
I use a Mustad 94720 #2 hook.
I pull it behind a dodger.
Black Ghost (Ken)
snow chief
Species: whatever bites

Post by snow chief »

I was always a big fan of a grey ghost with an orange throat and tail
Black Ghost (Ken)

I like it. Have you tried it on our L C Salmon?

It reminds me of a similar fly I tied with an emu feather. No bites on that on yet.
Black Ghost (Ken)
snow chief
Species: whatever bites

Post by snow chief »

No bites with it on LC yet, but it used to slay the browns back in Maine.