UV

Lure modification. From taping and painting to manufacturing your own fishing lures.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

UV

Post by tamiron »

Until about two years ago, the impact of UV on lure finish was seldom talked about. Thanks to two very special people, 4c's ( Crazy Ivan Lures) and Salmoneye, our eyes at TAMIRON were finally opened. As it turns out, better than 95% of all HONEYBEES have some amount of Fluorescent pigmentation in them. This was a conscious choice only to enhance brightness in the visible spectrum. But the Ultraviolet spectrum is far more important because the wavelengths allow UV light to penetrate to far greater depths. There is a spray called UV Blast (first reported on the old forum by Pat from Crazy Ivan Lures), that will allow any finish to reflect a “bluish” UV light. Then there are the many Fluorescent colors that reflect their own colors.

Fish possess UV receptors … we do not! Is it critical that all lures must have UV? No. Every Lure manufacturer that I have met has agreed that Black/Silver/White is a deadly combination. One of Thorny’s favorite lures is a Red CanAm and there is no UV. Here the red may actually turn black after it is down more than 10 feet.

If you want to see the impact of UV on lures you need a black or UV light to give you some idea. That being said, the choice of colors will vary from fisherman to fisherman, from day to day, hour to hour, fish to fish …. Get the idea? In fishing, perhaps more than in any other sport, the rule of Self Fulfilling Prophecy has never been greater. You can’t catch them if you aren’t using it!

Develop a book for yourself that will remind you in the future what works for you and/or for others in specific conditions. You will be truly amazed how often that will improve your catch rate. Hope this stirs some thoughts.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Salmoneye
Species: Fish

Re: UV

Post by Salmoneye »

I still remember driving along right at dusk, and having a box of Bees next to me 'lighting up' from the UV of the filtered light...

It was indeed an 'eye-opener' for me...
There was a young man from Nantucket...
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Post by Trackertroller »

Effie and I have been keeping a log this season, We filled up over 2 pages at the LCI, I think this is a great recommendation. Thanks Jim!
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"
4cs
Species: Salmon, Trout

Post by 4cs »

This is one of the main factors I think about when I'm trying to design a new pattern. What folks have to remember is that what you spoon looks like under UV light is the way it will look like when it is down deep. Over half of our spoons at Crazy Ivan have Flo or Glow on them and I can say that my favorite Honeybee's all have flo on them as Jim mentioned.

I really believe that you should have some flo or glo on your spoons, even if it's just a spot or an edge, it can be just the ticket that turns a spoon from a dude to to a stud.

Pat
Crazy Ivan Lures

http://www.crazyivanlures.com/

Eat, Sleep, Fish and then a Crown Royal
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

4cs wrote:

I really believe that you should have some flo or glo on your spoons, even if it's just a spot or an edge, it can be just the ticket that turns a spoon from a dude to to a stud.

Pat
100% agreement!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen