New Alewife pattern for this fall....

Lure modification. From taping and painting to manufacturing your own fishing lures.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

New Alewife pattern for this fall....

Post by Surprise »

With alewife being in the mix I had this inspiration ....now to get out and see what the fish think.

Paul:
I used Enrico Puglisi fibers in Polar Bear, Steel Blue, Golden Olive, first tied in either O.P.L. DNA Holo Fusion Sage or Medium Olive also added a few threads of Dark Purple or Pink Krystal Flash. Wet in the sink it shows thru the white mid stripe

The eyes are 3D molded eyes in large

I got these materials from Feather-Craft.

www.feather-craft.com

The Coolest thing is the UV cure epoxy for the head. I found the thin easiest to apply and it sets in 5 -10 seconds with a UV flashlite then set them in the sun to finish up rock hard. Called SOLOAREZ, tied on a 4X # 2 Long Streamer hook Chemically Sharpened hook #2220 = Mustad 79580

Purchased a Hook & Hackle www.hookhack.com

I'll post some tiying picture directions when I get a chance. There are numbers of U-Tube videos of processes to tie this and not all easy. I think I have a rather quick easy way down now...... ;)

can't wait to feel the pull.....

word has it my boat will be back next week :)
Last edited by Surprise on Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish On!
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Re: New Alewife pattern for this fall....

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Looks like you got some winners!
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Post by voyager »

Looks great, Randy. Definite fish catching patterns there.. What material did you use?
drachma
Species: Salmon, Lake Trout

Post by drachma »

Looks great Randy! Can not wait to hear how they worked. Reminds me of some I use to use for Stripers down in NH and MA. Maybe I should dig those out to try.
Michael
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

We went out Saturday and I put on the fly at the top of the frame. Its pretty beat now. It must have been struck 8 times, propably 4 times the other flies. I came straight home and made up 3 more just like it - one on bottom is the best.
Attachments
20131020_073819.jpg
Black Ghost (Ken)
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Added some info to the top post...

Ken, how deep you running those now?

Freeze and keep those pesky ciscos for Ellen Marsden.
Fish On!
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

That alewife pattern is super cool Randy!
voyager

Post by voyager »

Randy,

Thanks for the info on the materials. I've seen recipes for similar patterns tied in polar bear but I'd be more likely to try it with synthetics. Nice touch with the crystal flash. I'm kind of partial to that. I'll have to check out feather craft to see what goodies I can find. Not much to be had here in the hinterlands of northern NY.....

Hey Ken, awesome black Black Ghost. That should be a really good pattern. If you have Don Wilson's Smelt pattern book check for "Black Ice". That's also a good black winged pattern.

Voyager
tuckhunts87
Species: salmon, lakers, bass, pike

Post by tuckhunts87 »

do you guys run the flies behind dodgers? if so does the color of the dodger depend on the color of the fly
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Randy - we were hitting them at 65 ft. My simple mind makes me think that a dark fly wont work at that depth. I guess the salmon have good eyes. It's possible that they only see the tinsel.

Voyager - I'll look for that pattern,. Generally all my streamer patterns are my own variations of black ghosts and gray ghosts. Can you figure out how I came up with the name for my boat? Check out the colors in my avatar.

Tucker - I prefer the silver/brass 000 dodger from Luhr Jensen, regardless of the fly. Based on their website, I dont think the make them anymore so I'm always looking for them at the tackle stores. i always run dodgers about 18" in front of the fly. I typically use 10 # leader with an improved cinch knot at the hook.

Ken
Black Ghost (Ken)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great looking bugs... Nic work Randy and Ken....
Matt B
voyager

Post by voyager »

Tucker - Most definitely. I also prefer the 000 size that Ken mentioned. I mostly use chrome with prism tape, silver/brass split, and copper. Chrome being first choice and the split if you want less flash. Copper is good on overcast days. It's really a matter of personal preference and you don't have to match to the fly.

Ken - Black is definitely good at mid-depth. Black is a good color for contrast, both with lighter colors in the fly pattern (Black Ghost!)and against the visual background. If you're trolling above the fish they will see your fly as they look up (which trout & salmon naturally do). A black fly will contrast against the lighter surface water background and the fish will see it with no problem. Same goes for spoons like cop car and smokey joe patterns that are black & white.