Front Rings - No Front rings

Lure modification. From taping and painting to manufacturing your own fishing lures.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Front Rings - No Front rings

Post by tamiron »

Ring – no ring. I believe that it is safe to say that SPOON makers who do not supply a front ring on their spoon want you to connect with some type of snap or or snap swivel combination.

However those that do supply a front ring may not care what way you attach the spoon to your line.

Tamiron does.

The little chart below shows a realistic chart of comparable attachment scenarios.

In the last pair, the line going to the reel is attached to a circle or semicircle that allows them to be trolled at the slowest speed possible for each type of spoon.

In the fourth pair, the Honeybee on the left, has to be trolled faster than the Michigan Stinger on the right to compensate for the extra half circle that it has with a snap on a ring.

Do I recommend removing the front ring from a honeybee … not if Honeybees are all that you pull!
But if you insist on running a complex pattern with different types of lures or lures with different actions, then you may be required to compensate with changes like those below.

If your boat trolls better at a certain speed and it happens to be a little faster, then maybe adding a snap or snap swivel to the Honeybee will be the ticket.

But to say that certain spoons can be trolled at slower speeds than Honeybees tied direct, well ….

ring-no ring comparison.JPG
ring-no ring comparison.JPG (15.04 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Front Rings - No Front rings

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks Jim for the comparison chart.
Always a good reminder the type of attachment and speed will affect how the lure will move.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
will nolan (swilly)
Species: whatever bites!

Post by will nolan (swilly) »

agreed. very informative!
Will nolan "swilly"
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

thanks jim for your cool charts and tips. im impressed . :D
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

I keep preaching that we all need to share and if it doesn't start with "old people", lure manufacturers, professional fishermen, and everyone else, then the secrets abide and no one learns! This does not include locations, unless you choose to.

Rare, great spots are hard to find and even harder to keep from being overfished ! !
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Got me thinking hard Jim....... :geek:

I think there could be some changes I need to make especially in conditions where the bite is slow. This post definitely gives me some ideas...

Thanks for the post
Matt B
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Post by voyager »

Great info, thanks Jim!