Copper Spoon Blanks

Lure modification. From taping and painting to manufacturing your own fishing lures.
4cs
Species: Salmon, Trout

Copper Spoon Blanks

Post by 4cs »

Guys

Most of the copper spoon blanks come with a lacquer coating on them and the top eye is usually closed/filled with the coating and I don't know how you cleaned/opened the eye out but I used to take an xacto knife and just sort of reem the eye out. Awhile back someone mentioned that they use a soldering iron to open the eyes of their blanks out after they have put tape on the blanks which cover the eyes, nice and clean and you don't have to fight with the knife to get a good cut. Well the soldering iron works great when using it to open the eyes with the tape covering them and it also works well to open the eye with the lacquer too, muck quicker and cleaner just touch it to the coating and it just melts its way right thru. See how I have to do this on a bunch of copper blanks before painting them I'd just thought I'd pass this time saving tip on.

Pat
Crazy Ivan Lures

http://www.crazyivanlures.com/

Eat, Sleep, Fish and then a Crown Royal
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Copper Spoon Blanks

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks Pat for sharing that info.
Using a soldering iron makes a nice job and saves a lot of time.... time you can use to go fishing ;)
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Re: Copper Spoon Blanks

Post by fishingmachine »

I use a small propane torch,a pair of vise grips,and the correct size nail.heat the nail and poke it in the hole..........works for me