Hudson River

Check and share here for the latest Salt Water fishing reports.
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Hudson River

Post by The River Rat »

Any reports out there about the shad and herring run this year? Heard it was a bit late and the fish are just really heating up.
A White
The River Rat

Re: Hudson River

Post by The River Rat »

1st shad of the year just showed up in my neck of the woods on the Conn. river.... vt/nh/mass border
A White
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

We just came back from a trip on the Hudson with Captain Will Nolan. Great year out there for stripers. Mid Hudson starting to wind down a little, the big cows have spawned and may up to Troy gorging on herring. Don't know about shad out there. We caught 16 keeper sized fish with 3 over the 28" slot limit. Great day.Image
My wife with a nice fish
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Saw some shad in the Deerfield River last week, so things should be heating up here.
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

That's great, glad you guys hit em. May head over tomorrow even if we're late! First wave of shad showed up yesterday here on the Conn river in Southern Vt. Thanks for the report. Buddy of mine said there was 25 boats today in Strasbourg NY.
A White
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

The River Rat wrote:That's great, glad you guys hit em. May head over tomorrow even if we're late! First wave of shad showed up yesterday here on the Conn river in Southern Vt. Thanks for the report. Buddy of mine said there was 25 boats today in Strasbourg NY.
That's where we were. Lots of keeper sized males around. 25 boats shouldn't be a problem. We fished just off of the fleet, thinking that fish were being pushed away, and toward us. We did better than most boats, including some local captains. Also heard of a couple 40 " fish taken under the Poughkeepsie bridge.
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

Never did get over this weekend. Fished the river here instead. Weather was perfect for it tho!!! May try and sneak over mid week when there'd hopefully be less traffic and hit below the Albany dam. Thanks for the info C-Hawk
A White
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

I have never fished stripers but would love to give it a shot some time. how do people catch them?
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

keithm87 wrote:I have never fished stripers but would love to give it a shot some time. how do people catch them?
Most captains use downriggers with large Rapalas. When it was slow Captain Will put out two leads as well. There is also a crowd that uses chunk bait. Sometimes seems a few of these guys get together to block the trollers. Good depth charts a must out there, but anyone who fishes Champlain should be all set to go. Oh one more thing , make sure you have a spare prop, lots of debris.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

sounds like something I will need to try some time.