Happy Day

Check and share here for the latest Salt Water fishing reports.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Happy Day

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Monday, lot's of boat fishing in the bay, we decided to try something different.
We got a bag of sand flees, they're little crustaceans commonly found in beaches along coastal areas and in marshes.

We put one or two on a small hooks with light weight.
With 3 of our neighbors, we anchored outside the jetty as the tide was moving out. We fished for just over 2 hours and ended up catching a few throwback tautogs, one 20" stripper, one very small bluefish, but most of all, one 25" red drum, and 7 beautiful sheepsheads between 21-25", all over 10 lbs.

Sheepshead have humanlike teeth.

Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Gecha (Gerry)

Re: Happy Day

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

BTW...
The red drum and sheepsheads were all citation size.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Wow you really truly are blessed with some really great fishing opportunities down there!!! Did you take Bill's boat out? I see his big smile in the picture.. I bet your arms were tired after that trip... which of those keepers tasted the best? Did Bob sleep thru the trip??
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Reelax wrote:Wow you really truly are blessed with some really great fishing opportunities down there!!! Did you take Bill's boat out? I see his big smile in the picture.. I bet your arms were tired after that trip... which of those keepers tasted the best? Did Bob sleep thru the trip??
We fished on the "Turn Me Loose", a 23' center console Sailfish powered by 2 Yamaha 130 hp. I already went offshore fishing for tuna and sharks on it a few times. It is a fast boat but not too comfortable when the seas are bumpy. I prefer fishing on the Longfin ;)
We ate some sheepshead Tuesday night, they were delicious. Last night we treated ourselves to the Bonfire Buffet, loading on snowcrab legs and prime roast beef. I am still stuffed.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Gerry I will call you tonight after dinner
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

Wow! nice haul!!!

Nice to see the redfish making a comeback in that inlet, it was a long time coming, they were very scarce back in the 80's & '90's
Thought they were going to impose a moratorium on them like the did with the decade long rockfish (striper) fishing back then.
How are the hardheads (croakers)? They getting any size to them?
Don't buy the sandfleas, so easy to get them right in the wet sand at the shoreline.
Broke my tailbone on the jetty way back when, caught a 4# tog on the rocks, had my cleats on too and still managed to slip and bust my ass...managed to land the fish too.
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

mudchuck wrote:Wow! nice haul!!!

Nice to see the redfish making a comeback in that inlet, it was a long time coming, they were very scarce back in the 80's & '90's
Thought they were going to impose a moratorium on them like the did with the decade long rockfish (striper) fishing back then.
How are the hardheads (croakers)? They getting any size to them?
Don't buy the sandfleas, so easy to get them right in the wet sand at the shoreline.
Broke my tailbone on the jetty way back when, caught a 4# tog on the rocks, had my cleats on too and still managed to slip and bust my ass...managed to land the fish too.
Hi Mudchuck,
The croakers did not really show up this year. Usually we catch them starting like crazy starting beginning of August. This year, we only caught a very few, and on the small size.
We used to find sandfleas by digging the shoreline on the beach. This year they are hard to find. It may have to do with the replenishment of the beaches by pumping sand back from the ocean. We may have to go to Assateague beaches to dig for them.
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Wallyandre (Andre) wrote:Gerry I will call you tonight after dinner
Hi Andre,
We were out most of the day and evening, got back late.
You can give me a call Friday after 9 am.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Nice haul Gerry.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I did not do much fishing lately.
Last week we had bike week. Thursday to Sunday thousands of motorcycles gathered in Ocean City and surroundings. It was fun but very noisy.
Now they're all gone and city is much calmer.
However, started yesterday, wind picked up a lot... to much to be on the water. Tomorrow suppose to be wet and very windy..... as Jose is passing offshore.
Looking forward to Wednesday and Thursday with calm skies... it should be good enough to get the pontoon back in the water in search for flounders.
In the meantime, we have some company in our backyard.

Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

... and a very watchful guardian
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »