Kingston stripers 2017

Check and share here for the latest Salt Water fishing reports.
jim
Species: Salmon, Trout

Kingston stripers 2017

Post by jim »

Hello Everyone,
I received some great advice last year from people fishing down in the area, so I'm thinking about towing my boat down to Kingston and leaving it for a few weeks. Make a few trips down on the weekends or even a few weekdays. Anyone heading down that way this year? I'm not sure if i will have others with me every trip down but was thinking I would try a solo run if no one was round. Other welcome to join any time, just contact me.

For those that are heading down when does the run start in Kingston approx? I think i should be able to drag the boat out in a week or two. Mud season seems to be ending early.

Thanks everyone,

Jim
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Re: Kingston stripers 2017

Post by Hairbone »

Check the forum stripers24/7. For info on the run. Herring will show in 10 days or so
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Never caught a striper...this is very entising....
Matt B
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Reelax wrote:Never caught a striper...this is very entising....
I recommend going south and either fishing with someone who knows the fishery or taking a charter. Fun trying and catching 5 herring at a rip on a Sabiki. I have caught em at the troy dam and in front of Dinasour BBQ. You can walk across the river on the last weekend of April or 1st weekend of may with the # of boats.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Hairbone wrote:
Reelax wrote:Never caught a striper...this is very entising....
I recommend going south and either fishing with someone who knows the fishery or taking a charter. Fun trying and catching 5 herring at a rip on a Sabiki. I have caught em at the troy dam and in front of Dinasour BBQ. You can walk across the river on the last weekend of April or 1st weekend of may with the # of boats.
I already PM'ed that same info Harry, that's not fun down there...You have to go south to get any regular hook ups without the hassle...Also unless you like really BIG crowds go on a week day not the weekend no matter where you go. :evil:
jim

Post by jim »

I've been Striper fishing every year for the past 5 years down in the Albany area out of the Henry Hudson town park one exit south on the throughway below Albany. it is a very very nice park with great launch and parking. Clean Safe and just amazing, however it is a bit hit or miss up that far. We do use Sabiki's for herring and float down river mostly or anchor up.
We have had some luck in the past. Image below from one of the trips. My understanding is that the Kingston area is where more of the fish spawn and that there is a longer season. I could be wrong but the plan is to head down that way and give it a try. I will likely try a bit of trolling since that is a more normal tactic for Stripers in most places and it sound more common down that way as well. Up near albany some do troll but its a bit tight for that so live line herring seems to be the tactic.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Nice fish, I pm'ed you again...
Maddog
Species: salmonoids

Post by Maddog »

Check out The River Basin Sports Report for Sunday April 16, 2017. Located in Catskill, NY.

http://www.riverbasinsports.com/
will nolan (swilly)
Species: whatever bites!

Post by will nolan (swilly) »

I'll be down in a.week and every week the no th of may. Can't wait.
Will nolan "swilly"
jim

Post by jim »

Sounds like we will be there around the same times. Mostly weekends for me though. Can't wait. I hope this year ends up a great run for the Stripers. They are such a blast.
jim

Post by jim »

Well i got my boat started after having to clean up all battery wires/lines etc. That run down to Hatteras last year, the salt likely didn't help. Good to go now so heading down to Kingston this Sat. I should be there around Noon or so. I'll fish a bit spend the night and fish Sunday morning then head home. I was able to rent a slip for $350 for the month! thats amazing. I'm be there every weekend until the may 20th weekend, so if anyone wants to join please give a shout. More than likely I'll have room. Jimbow are you around to join this weekend? Not likely many hours on the water but maybe fun if you are in the area. I have a friend heading up as well.
jim

Post by jim »

I made it down to Kingston on Friday!.
Had a bit of entertainment to start as one of my trailer brakes decided to lock up just as i entered the highway. After that it was smooth sailing all the way down. Hit the water at 3pm and by 6 had a nice 26lb fish(Right in the slot). Caught trolling with Hot Steel Rapala. Lots of logs in the water so was not great fishing. Sat it was windy/cold so we called it after a couple hours and went home.
Back on Friday. Hope the big ones are in!!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

A 26lb striper is a good size fish. Besides the trailer issue, looks like you had a good time.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
jim

Post by jim »

Here is a picture of the Striper! Darn Slots this fish was just asking to be put on the grill.

The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Post by The River Rat »

Looks like the herring are strong and the big girls are finally up! Thinking about trailering out weekend of the 7th. Would be in the Trot /Albany area. Sounds like you guys will be hammering em as well! Maybe well see ya out there!
A White