Key West Kite fishing

Check and share here for the latest Salt Water fishing reports.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Key West Kite fishing

Post by C-Hawk »

We chartered out with Al Ware Are the Fish Charters out of The Hurricane Hole , Key West Fla., today on a breezy , 15 -20 mph, mid 80 degree day for a try at sails. The seas were running 4-5 ' with an occasional 6 'thrown in, on top of a pretty good swell. A wild, wonderful introduction to kite fishing. In order to keep the kite in the correct position to run 3 lines with big eyes on a float for bait, meant the boat , a 34' center console with twin 300 E-techs, had to be in the trough all day. The kite pulls 3 lines out 3 or 4 hundred feet , attatched with clips, same as outrigger or planer board releases, and adjusted so the bait is suspended just subsurface. If you let it get too deep , the sharks can get it, but with there mouths on their bottom side, they have a hard time getting the bait in their mouth.
The day started out slow but finally after 2 hours, my buddy Paul hooked a Sailfish on the closest line and the fish , maybe a 7 footer came right at the boat, around the back , and leaped almost into the boat. I think the leader rubbed on the bottom of the boat and he was gone. We spent the next couple of hours catching large bonita, 10 to 15 lbs, which put up a pretty good fight themselves. Evidently bonita are a good indicator for Sails. After we had a hectic flurry of doubles on Sails , but quickly lost one , and I saw the other surface a 1/4 mile away. My friend Sam got it within 100 feet of the boat , but with a spectacular leap he broke off. I finished the day off with a 30 pound cobia, my first ever which fed 6 o f us dinner , a nice flaky white meat. Just seeing Sailfish close up is very exciting and I may go again on Sat. Tomorrow is a nighttime tarpon trip. Hopefully bones next week. The Keys are the place to be when your not on Champlain, just beautiful.I will try some pics later.
Attachments
6760.jpeg
0326171458b_HDR.jpg
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Re: Key West Kite fishing

Post by ThreeBuoys »

That sounds awesome. I will need to try that sometime.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

It's always a trill to fish the ocean. Sailfish are majestic, and bonita is a blast to catch.
Thanks for your report and enjoy your stay.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

good report jeff have fun and keep the pics coming to my phone when you catch them . nice seeing them here at home with the sloppy weather were having.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Thanks Matt, we did a backcountry (flats) trip today but things are tough because there has been a lot of fronts for the past month and the water hasn't warmed enough. I had a pretty good follow with a bonefish on the fly but he turned off at the boat. Later we had 100lb tarpon boiling around us on a chum line , but couldn't get a take. Pretty exciting to see, and I guess I will try my guide one more time after things warm a little more. For anyone interested check out Kevin Rowley Fishing, on You Tube. He has this thing going where he takes beautiful women fishing with a photographer and still gets paid for it. I guess being a fat old fart, my days are numbered using him for a guide. However maybe I could follow his business model on Champlain?
Because the weather is looking good for another sail trip this weekend, I might have to overextend myself and go for the big stuff. If you could post those pics for me Matt, go right ahead, I seem to have an awful time with it. The salt water page will not let me attach, and I can't seem to access my Photo bucket account. Day off tomorrow, maybe some shore fishing wed, thurs I rob a bank then back out.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

C-Hawk wrote:Thanks Matt, we did a backcountry (flats) trip today but things are tough because there has been a lot of fronts for the past month and the water hasn't warmed enough. I had a pretty good follow with a bonefish on the fly but he turned off at the boat. Later we had 100lb tarpon boiling around us on a chum line , but couldn't get a take. Pretty exciting to see, and I guess I will try my guide one more time after things warm a little more. For anyone interested check out Kevin Rowley Fishing, on You Tube. He has this thing going where he takes beautiful women fishing with a photographer and still gets paid for it. I guess being a fat old fart, my days are numbered using him for a guide. However maybe I could follow his business model on Champlain?
Because the weather is looking good for another sail trip this weekend, I might have to overextend myself and go for the big stuff. If you could post those pics for me Matt, go right ahead, I seem to have an awful time with it. The salt water page will not let me attach, and I can't seem to access my Photo bucket account. Day off tomorrow, maybe some shore fishing wed, thurs I rob a bank then back out.
okay jeff will do just got your update. snowstorm coming here friday and saturday stay there. yikes.