May trip to the Dominican Republic

Check and share here for the latest Salt Water fishing reports.
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

May trip to the Dominican Republic

Post by vtfishin »

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ “pescar en!” alex yelled ZZZZZZZZZ I jumped to grab the rod that fired and heard Randy yell “get it Matt!” and instantly I felt the buzz from the hope of landing my first salt water fish.

Our day started at 6:30 am in Cabarete, a small beach destination on the north side of the Dominican Republic. Cabarete is best known for a sweet surf break between the cities of Cabarete and Sosua and “Kite Beach” with daredevil kite boarders flying around at amazing speeds. The Atlantic side of the island isn’t the best for fishing but we were calling it home for a week as we joined some long time friends for a house rental. The Caribbean side of the island has a lot of fish action and was engaged in a sailfish tournament but it was hours (8 – 10) away from our digs. I had contacted a charter on the Carribean side when I first started thinking of heading down. Once we knew where we were staying the captain said we were too far away but he recommended Randy Rode on the north side of the island. I contacted Randy at Northcoast Sportfishing and he had openings for the week, things were starting to come together. My wife Pam wanted to do a day of fishing with me and I kept 2 spots open in case anyone else wanted to join in.

We flew into Santiago on Saturday evening and set out on a 1.5 hour drive to find the house we rented. Driving in the Dominican is an experience. I dubbed the shoulders of the road the “wrong way” lanes as scooters, motorcycles and vehicles came at us in every direction on them. The two travel lanes were fairly normal, except for the occasional donkey and crater size potholes everywhere. Adding to the fun, we also drove through a Presidential political rally that was quite an experience: 100’s of people surrounding our car and waving flags and dancing in the street, I wasn’t ready for that but we made it through with a laugh. We managed to find the house thanks to Apple navigating us over the mountain and through the jungle. Our friends greeted us at the house and had neglected to tell me about Kelly, I was a bit surprised to see a guy walk out of the shadows with a gun. “Hola Kelly!” Kelly sat outside our house from 7:00PM to 7:00am armed with a 12ga riot gun, just keeping the honest people honest I guess.

The house was sweet and we settled in with a couple cold Presidentes by the pool.

I couldn’t believe the accommodations for such a cheap stay. …and 3 days and we would be on our first ocean fishing trip, I couldn’t wait.

Randy was very responsive via email and answered questions about the island as well as the fishing. His logbook from previous years indicated everything from tuna and Mahi Mahi (Dorados in this part of the world) to an occasional Marlin this time of year. I sure wouldn’t kick a bucket list fish like a Marlin off my line, but the thought of catching a Mahi to take back for dinner at the house was an exciting proposition as well!

Randy sent his buddy Benecio to pick Pam and I up Tuesday morning. He spoke very little English but between charades and my remedial Spanish we were able to talk fishing for a bit on our hour ride to the boat. Randy keeps his boat at Laguna Gris Gris in Rio San Juan. Randy used to run his Dad’s charter business in Marathon Key in Florida and has over 40 years of experience. We met him at the boat, a 25’ Super Panga. The Panga is sort of a long skiff, powered by 2 small twin Yahmahas. Randy had it set up pretty well and it had a small bimini for keeping us out of the sun a bit. His first mate for the day was Alex, a local hand on another charter business as well. We boarded the boat and headed out for about 15 minutes through the mangroves down a fresh water river to the ocean. The mangroves were teeming with al sorts of birds so it was a nice ride.

We passed some locals casting nets for bait fish and emerged from the river. Huge coral heads protected the mouth of the river and as we came out into the salt it was bizarre to see a 10 foot pipeline wave curling just to our right.

Randy started rigging gear and setting up the outriggers as we headed out. A school of dolphins surrounded us as we headed out and surfed our bow wake. We enjoyed watching them as they put on a small acrobatic routine around us. Depth drops to 1000’ in about 4 miles and then increases to 3000’. We set up and fished 1000’- 3000’ of water, 4-7 miles out. The waves were fairly big as the day went on, building to about 6’ rollers. We trolled at a fairly quick speed and Randy rigged with ballyhoo bait fish and also used plug-like rubber squids.

We hit a weed line that was produced by two currents pushing together after about an hour of trolling. We started to work along that line and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ “pescar en!”

I pulled the rod tip up and started reeling and a Dorado launched out of the water like a neon ballistic missile! What a beautiful fish! I tried to get into a rhythm and bring the fish in and he started a run right for the boat at about 50 mph. Reel, reel, reel! He went out about 30 yards to the side as he approached the boat and I could see the bright colors of the fish. Alex was working the steering and I tried to concentrate on not giving any slack and then, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ he takes off on one heck of a run! What a fun fight on that fish! Jumping combined with fast, strong runs, everything I was looking for in a sportfish! He took off on 3 more runs as I tried to land him and proceeded to jump and run for about 15 minutes. I was able to bring it alongside the boat and Randy gaffed it, Pam opened the cooler and he chucked it in. Zip, zow, dinner in the boat! What a blast!

We had another release about 30 minutes later as we worked the currents. Pam jumped and grabbed the pole and brought in a nice Jack. We eventually headed into shallower water and Wham! Another release and I yelled for Pam to grab the rod. She had just cracked a Presidente so told me to go for it!

I jumped up and it felt like I had a bull on the line! Head shakin’ and big pull. Randy said, “looks like a barracuda” and zoom he comes flying into the air! “Yep Baracuda” and I had a fun fight on my hands. Felt like a salt water muskie and was good size, right around 15-20 lbs! I brought it in and we shook it off at the boat. Toothy, mean looking son-of-a-gun!

We ended our day doing a little sight seeing along the cliffs around Cabrera and then headed in the river and back to the Laguna. We caused some commotion as kids and adults came down to the dock to see what we caught.

Benecio was there with his daughter and proceeded to ask us about our day as Randy started to filet up the fish. Alex introduced us to his kids that had run down to greet us at the docks. We donated a couple chunks of the filets and Benecio took the tail, head and everything else as well to make soup. We said our thanks and goodbyes to Randy and then headed up to the van. I ran into a bar to grab some cokes for Benecio and his daughter and we were off to his house to get a cooler and some ice. Benecio started to tell me about his family, 6 kids in all, and his house was a short few blocks away. When we arrived at his small house in a congested neighborhood his wife and kids came out to greet us and, although they didn’t speak any English, we were able to tell them about our fish and learn the names of the kids. I told her she had a beautiful family and she was beaming, so proud of her family.

Benecio came back with hielo (ice) and a cooler and we were back in the van and off to the house with dinner on ice and two of his kids along with us. I had promised dinner to the folks we were staying with and they were waiting!

We drove back through the crazy roads and drivers to the house in Cabarete and I kept thinking about our day. We could not have asked for a better captain to take us out fishing. Randy’s fishing resume includes International bill-fish tournament victories out of Florida and guiding in Costa Rica and beyond. His catches include a 202lb tarpon and other huge sportfish but he never showed any ego, he was just plain fun to fish and talk with. He shared rigging tips and explained everything he was doing and was a wealth of information. Pam and I loved our time fishing in the DR and especially liked meeting some of the local folks and talking about the fishing.

We hit the house and started to tell our story as all 8 of us pitched in on putting together a fantastic dinner, mahi cooked in butter and squeezed citrus juice with a fresh mango salsa. We mashed up some auyama, a local squash that is somewhere between butternut and pumpkin, and added a side of black beans and rice. So good!

Beautiful waters, nice people, fishing with my wife and catching an amazing dinner, what a great vacation!

We spent the rest of the time surfing, hiking and snorkeling. Great trip.

-Matt
Last edited by vtfishin on Wed May 30, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: May trip to the Dominican Republic

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Very descriptive posting Matt.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful experience. Makes us wish we were there too.
The nice pics add to the fantasy.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

What was the guy in full camo with 870 fishing for?
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

Cubans?
Lavman
Species: Equal opportunity catcher :D

Post by Lavman »

Great report! Thanks for sharing
mac
Species: Salmon, Trout and Bass

Post by mac »

Vacation , Wife, good friends and a fun fishing trip. Winning!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Sounds like a great vacation! Thanks for the story, really enjoyed reading it....
Matt B