Flats Fishing ,Big Pine Key Fla

Check and share here for the latest Salt Water fishing reports.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Flats Fishing ,Big Pine Key Fla

Post by C-Hawk »

We chartered with Strike Zone Charters and had a great captain, Kevin, who grew up here and fishes on his day off. This kid really put us on some fish. We each caught a bonefish , mine a real trophy. These fish should be on everyone's to catch list. My fish easily pulled 100 yards of line with a drag so tight that I had a hard time stripping line by hand without cutting myself.Very light tackle and shrimp bait. This is sight fishing. Very challenging in a light chop and some cloud cover. Lost one and also caught a 10 lb( ?) bonnet shark which is quite a handful itself. We also fought some lemon sharks, but any shark is tough without. A leader. We could have caught them all day long, but you don't rig for shark when the bones are around. Bonefish are probably pound for pound the hardest fighting there is, everything that you have heard about them is true.Not huge but at 5 or 6 lbs a real trophy for me. I guess I should have tried the fly gear but wanted to get one in the boat first. Now my next mission is to talk the trip financial officer into doing a night time tarpon trip under the bridges. Not doing much from shore but had a few hard hits on some frozen mullet . I guess that I can't attach pics in this section but will try to put them in fishing reports.
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Flats Fishing ,Big Pine Key Fla

Post by fishy1 »

are the bonefish good eating?
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

fishy1 wrote:are the bonefish good eating?
I don't think that anyone eats them. They are hard as a rock when you grab them.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

C-Hawk wrote:
fishy1 wrote:are the bonefish good eating?
I don't think that anyone eats them. They are hard as a rock when you grab them.
I think snapper and grouper are king for eating down in florida!
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

The Bahamians make fish cakes with Bones. Generally, Bones are sport fishing only and catch/release.
Bill
"POINTER"
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

thanks guys. i had grouper nuggets down there and grouper and loved them. didnt catch any though i did ave a big red fish on one day though at sebastian inlet and it almost took the rod out of my hands. the guy next to me said it was a big red fish. went to buy some grouper a couple of times when we were coming back home but the price was a little steep at the fish market. $18.95 a lb.