Castin for stripers

Check and share here for the latest Salt Water fishing reports.
monty1
Species: salmon/trout

Castin for stripers

Post by monty1 »

I am new to striper fishin, I typically cast rapalas for BIG brown trout in VT. I always look for depth and current flow, favoring slow current, does the same rules apply for BIG stripers? Not askin for where or how, just their feeding habits.
Wellsley (Frank)

Re: Castin for stripers

Post by Wellsley (Frank) »

They feed on herring in the Hudson river. Where are you planning on wetting a line?
monty1

Post by monty1 »

I do go regularly to the hudson from shore and have good luck. We use live herring and have done quite well. I go behind the big blue building in troy, there is a public area there with alot of people fishing from shore. I go a couple hundred yards south of there, the water breaks offf the main current reminding me of backwater that a BIG brown trout might like. I ask the question about stickbaits because herring are hard to come by this year for shore anglers, we watched boats jig em all day. On tuesday me and the wife both hooked up, my wifes 1st at 19 pounds. But back to the herring, if I am havin such a hard time gettin bait I was thinkin on throwin some lures.
river runt
Species: lakers / salmon

Post by river runt »

if i had to get herring from shore, i would be trowing out a stooly and bring the herring to shore, then just net them up. i have seen guys get them off docks
this way, many times.it even works out in boats.
monty1

Post by monty1 »

I have seen this down near KIngston with my father, and in previous years we have no problem getting them from shore with a sabiki rig, there are literally 50 guys over by brunos with the same problem, no herring. Even the bait shops are saying there are not enough herring to get,keep and sell. Only thing I can think is not enough winter runoff, in previous years there was so much runoff it was dangerous in a smaller boat, this year no runoff so are the fish out in the main channel? With what I have seen thus far they should of imposed herring limits 5 years ago.