Hudson Strippers

Check and share here for the latest Salt Water fishing reports.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Re: Hudson Strippers

Post by fishingmachine »

lavman,we fished 4 days in the rain last year trolling and did very well,a 30#er was out biggest
monty1
Species: salmon/trout

Post by monty1 »

only fish to snap me off was on a night of thunderstorms just like this sat? be there myself. herring for sale?
Lavman
Species: Equal opportunity catcher :D

Post by Lavman »

fishingmachine wrote:lavman,we fished 4 days in the rain last year trolling and did very well,a 30#er was out biggest
SWEET! Thanks for the info, looking forward to it :mrgreen:
river runt
Species: lakers / salmon

Post by river runt »

yesterday was a little tougher herring was easy to get early on, then they
shut down, got first striper with first herring, 31`` er , then it took a wile,
got second striper 30`` er. then wind picked up made it hard to control boat
got my anchor hung-up, couldn`t get it loose, lost anchor
then got last run, 40 1/4 ``
everyone took fri. off launch was full.
i won`t go on weekends.
Kris Mc shane from dec sent me a email, they are haveing a hard time finding
stripers to electro shok. to do there taging and reserch.
the early warm weather ,sent the stripers up river past the place they do this work in . they need a large number of fish, in 15 ft. of water or less, to do this.
they were in kingston, catskill, and newburgh, the last 3 days they got 16-4-19 respectively. they need a 1000 stripers
iam in there fishing log book group of guys that record everything i get,and send the info back to Kris, no matter what you catch, shad herring stripers cat fish, they want it all. and even if you get skunked and catch 0.
i hope this doesn`t mean i`ts going to end early,?
river runt

Post by river runt »

i guess i posted just to much info,
i wont over do it any more.
Lavman

Post by Lavman »

River Runt: Post away! I appreciate the info. I fished below the Troy dam on Saturday, my first time on the Hudson. We caught mucho herring and boated one 25" Striper at 8am. We had a bout a dozen runs over the course of the day, a good school rolled up in around noon time and we had several runs in a short period of time. Problem was we were using 8/0 circle hooks and rigging the herring through the eyes and when the striper took it the barb of the circle hook managed to get buried in the head of the herring thereby making a hook set impossible. Once we figured this out we started hooking the herring under the dorsal fin, as you would rigging pike bait on a tip-up ice fishing. This awkward presentation did not yield any runs or hits.

The circle hooks are in the trash and trebles are going on, no messing around! Going back Saturday to do battle and boat some damn stripers!
river runt

Post by river runt »

After the fri. i had ,i wasn`t about to go sat, i never seen the river so packed
with boats on a week day.
i got a 65.00 parking ticket, @ the albany boat launch, lost my second anchor
of the season ,got it hooked on some kind of cable , tryed pulling it back in every direction. no go.
with fighting the wind/tide/current/bunch of boats fiying up & down,up & down
i don`t think any of them fished.
we got 3 stripers let one go.
when i use circle hooks, i hook them tru the nose, or up tru the roof of the mouth.some guys ziptie the hook tru the nose
i use mostly j hooks, hooked in the mouth, or under the dorsal fin
how ever you hook um, you still lose a lot of them, they don`t care how they
grab the herring. we lost one with a j hook, that got the hook caught in a herring, that was mostly decomposed already down it the striper, never had that happen before.
Lavman

Post by Lavman »

Losing not one but TWO anchors really stinks!!!

It was wicked windy saturday and relatively crowded (more so than I am used to fishing lakes in VT anyway).

Thanks for the tips on hook placement. I am going to try the treble and put one through the roof of the mouth and that way have 3 sharp hooks on the front ready to engage the fish, quick hook set will be the key to avoid gut hooking.
river runt

Post by river runt »

Hudson River Striped Bass
TO: 1 More1 recipientCC: recipientsYou MoreBCC: recipientsYou
Hide Details FROM:Kris McShane TO:Kris McShane Message flagged Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:15 PM Hi,

WOW! That was great. I got 45 responses from my last email. My crew and I really appreciate it. As I'm sure you can imagine the emails told me that fish were everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Also... (and I realized this when I sent the email out, since I sent it on a Friday) where ever the fish were then, they were sure not to still be there on Monday. And I'm sure it didn't help that a front came through over the weekend.

So, the majority of the emails said there were fish in the Glasco area. Glasco is close by and the wind was blowing pretty bad so I launched at Charlie Ryder by the Kingston Rhinecliff Bridge and shocked all along the flats out in the middle. Very few fish, but I did pick a few up here and there. We missed one that I believe was over 40 (I'm originally from Long Island so I talk in pounds). We then headed up along the West side (Ulster Landing area) and got zip. Back out to the flats for only 1 or 2 more. A total of 16 on Monday.

Today (Tuesday) the wind was still blowing so we decided to stay close to home and try in the Rondout Creek. We shocked the entire Rondout Creek all the way up to the dam as well as the flats just South of the mouth and around the corner to the North along Kingston Pt beach. All day we only saw 2 striped bass - got 1. (The worst day since I've worked here - 9 yrs) At least we picked up about 30 herring to sample.

Tomorrow's plan is to head up to the Catskill area. I'll let you know.

Kris

Kris Mcshane just sent me this striper up date, from his last email, about trying
to find a large number of stripers to electro fish ,to do his reserch
it`s not looking good .?
Lavman

Post by Lavman »

Is he coming up north to the Troy dam?

I am headed back down on Saturday and hoping the herring and the stripers are still there :?
river runt

Post by river runt »

i just emailed kris.
he said today they were headed to catskill . thats only about 22, miles south
of albany, thats not much of a swim for a striper.
i think we will run out of herring be for the stripers leave.
iam saveing a few to get me started on the next trip, i have got 4 stripers
this yr on dead hole herring,
good luck this weekend. 8-)
i just came from the launch, i can only see down in the water,maybe 10`` to a ft. it`s pretty dirty, if you had trouble before getting herring, good luck now. :(
Lavman

Post by Lavman »

We caught a slew of herring last weekend, not a problem. Hope they are still there, going to bag some up and pickle them.

I just hope the stripers are still there. I am going to throw some topwater and diving lures as well, fishing was a bit slow last weekend and maybe I can stave off boredom and get lucky with a lure at the same time!
river runt

Post by river runt »

Hudson River Striped Bass
TO: 1 More1 recipientCC: recipientsYou MoreBCC: recipientsYou
Hide Details FROM:Kris McShane TO:Kris McShane Message flagged Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:44 PM Well the stripers are now all safe. At least from being stung by the zap of the electroshocking boat. Went to Catskill yesterday (Wednesday) AM - zip. Didn't even see many herring. I then loaded up the boat and headed to the Bethleham boat launch. The rest of the afternoon we shocked north of the launch on the west side. Got 25 stripers. 23 of them were females. Biggest one was 32 lbs. That was good for this year - but bad for how we usually do.

Anyway.... back to Bethleham this AM. Shocked and picked up 15 or so just south of the I 90 spur bridge. All biggish females. Then it really slowed down and we headed back to where we were the day before. Only got 10 more all day. I did see a lot of herring though, after hearing from a few guys at the boat launch that there were no herring around. I think the cloudy water made it hard for them to see both a sabiki rig or a stoolie because they were definitely there. Biggest striper today was 34 lbs. My biggest problem is that the males have yet to come up on the flats where the big females are waiting for them.

I'm returning the E-Boat back to the contaminants unit in Albany tomorrow morning and then tracking sonic tagged American shad (and possibly shortnose sturgeon) from Bethleham to the Dam.

Next week we start with the 500' seine net.

Good Luck
Kris

Were have all the boys gone ? i think that was a song.
Lavman

Post by Lavman »

Sounds like there may still a few to catch up north to Troy, got my fingers crossed!!
river runt

Post by river runt »

just to give you a heads-up troy is haveing there striper turny. sat.
that is going to be a mess. from the 378 bridge to the troy dam.
iam going south.