VT Bow & Bonus VT Doe

Share Hunting info.
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

VT Bow & Bonus VT Doe

Post by WildFisherWoman »

I hunted 19 of the 23 days of the VT bow season.... moved here.. moved there... Rain... wind.. and the occasional sunbeam. Saw a total of 8 deer. 2 of which were spikes.... one little doe I made a clean miss on (hey it happens :roll: )... A doe with 2 skippers... A yearling doe.. and this fat doe......

I got sick of hunting apple trees. So I took my climber and ventured up as high as I could get on the property one afternoon. At 5:15 on a breezy pm before the rains came.. she came... Got her at 30 yards and she knew I was there... She was nervous for sure and I wasnt sure she was going to allow me a shot but she stepped behind a big tree and I drew and she stayed. Lunged her and she ran straight up the ledges and died on the highest point of the property 40 yards away. Oh... I would like to thank Dockside for company on the 4 wheeler ride.. an hour later.... in the pouring rain... for all the assistance :lol: xo There is something very satisfying about harvesting a VT deer to me. Maybe its because you spend so long sitting.. waiting... wishing... wanting.... in certain places of this state....

This season.... Hunted apple trees... field edges... ridges and randomness.... Where are all the deer? I have seen some pix of some big bucks taken this year..... so some people have found the big boys. Wonder what the numbers are going to say in the harvest report. ??? IMO I think they will be low.

My observations.... apple trees were a waste of time.. 2 of my trail cams said they hit them at night... Wish I had beech nuts to hunt near. Its a bumper crop this year. No acorns... anywhere I have been. Weather just plain ol sucked.

What do others think of this VT bow season? Yay? Nay?

Anyways!!!!!! Bring on the cold ... bring on the rut.... and bring on the rifle seasons! :D
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
shirefisher
Species: all

Re: VT Bow & Bonus VT Doe

Post by shirefisher »

I'm just seeing the rut happen the last few days and now it's over for archery!!! I wish we could hunt for another few weeks. That looks like a big doe how much did she weigh? I hope you have enough freezer room! The season was tough in Vt for hunting as the weather was no help.

I have a mature buck I have patterend just this week and the seasons over???!!!...
mac
Species: Salmon, Trout and Bass

Post by mac »

I did not see a deer in the woods during VT bowseason.. only hunted 4 days. Went to PA saw 10 deer in 1.5 days on State Land...

congrats on the doe....
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I agree beaches are looking great this year.. Best crop I have seen in last 5. Looks like there are too many apples to be able to pattern them well, unless there is a very limited supply in your area. I have beaches on my property, so this should be an interesting year... Last time we had beaches like this I filled my tag on a nice buck on the last day....
Matt B
woolywag
Species: salmon

Post by woolywag »

nice job Wild ,,, i hunted 7 nights in the NEK ,,, stil not sure what a deer looks like ,,, 5 years ago at least u could see a moose ,,, but the fish and game took care of that ,,, moose are scarse ,,,, as are the deer ,,,,,
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Nice job. I prefer does to buck for eating, especially in or after rut. I' m not into bow and arrow - got too little time as the days get shorter. Rifle season is my choice for deer. My problem is I have too many hobbies and not enough free time.

Ken
Black Ghost (Ken)
vtperchman
Species: all

Post by vtperchman »

congrats on the deer
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

So...that's three deer already?
Nice going WFW...Congrats!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

What! 3 Deer already? Some people have a hard time getting 1 and you're at 3? Sweeeeeeeet.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I haven't hunted deer in 10 years, but my sisters still do. That is some impressive hunting posts for NY and Vt. Congratulations! Interesting reads.
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

Well, your obviously going to be enjoying some fine venison eating this winter :P Whats Ben going to be eating? Leftover baitfish??? LOL!!!
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"