NY Bow Opener

Share Hunting info.
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

NY Bow Opener

Post by WildFisherWoman »

This year I said to myself.. just like in every other year when I go to hunt in NY.. “Im going to shoot whatever walks under my stand first!!!!!”. Every year goes by and I see a monster buck far off almost always never near me…. then I pass on the smaller guys that walk under my stand all because I saw that bigger one! Most years my NY tags go unfilled and someone else always shoots that buck that I passed up. Then I am sad and mad at myself but chalk it up to experience and vow not to make the same mistakes the next year.

Bow opener was this weekend in NY southern zone! Wooo Hoooo!!!! Woke up this am to the sound of windchimes clanking outside. That meant one thing. WIND! It was a soaker of a drive the night before. At least it wasnt raining. I headed up to the woodlot over the knoll from the standing cornpiece. I see some deer come over the knoll coming from the cornpiece and I watch a few others head over the knoll to the cornpiece. All too far away over the course of 6:30 to 8:00. Wind was perfect for my setup. Anything coming from the corn would wind me until the passed by me. At 8:15 I see a doe in the thick in front of me. Milling around eating acorns. She was alone. Perfect! Lone doe headed right for me. I get situated and wait. I watch her. She closed the distance. There she milled about 50 yards away when I see to my left another deer walking from afar that had a rack on it. Ok… what to do.. what to do.. do I grunt for him and spook the doe.. or do I let the little guy pass and hope the doe doesn’t break far right or left…. As the 6 pointer passed to behind me at abut 70 yards I grunted to him. Heck with the doe I thought. He stops. I grunt again. He turns and comes back! OMG! I thought to myself. He stops and looks around. I grunt a few more times and he turns and walks down the swale towards me. He sets me up for a 15 yard shot. He walks behind my draw tree, I draw and whack I dropped him on the spot. So there he was lying there when he went braahhhh braaaaaaaaaahh a few times.

What happens next was something I never would have expected. That doe came flying in to investigate this situation. There she was… confused… sprawled out .. stretched out broadside.. starin at this buck at barely even 10 yards below me. Wind was whipping out of the south. I watched in awe. Grabbed another arrow and gave her a perfect lung shot. She went all of 30 yards.

I hear people talk of the fawn distress call this time of year to call in does. I always took that with a grain of salt but I think after what I witnessed today.. I believe that the distress call may actually work.

I guess I wasn’t kidding around this year when I said I wouldn’t pass anything up. Now I can wait for the big boy with my 308 in hand. :D Tags filled its back to VT to enjoy the rest of my bowhunting vacation No. 2 back home. Its just about to get real good too......

Last edited by WildFisherWoman on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Re: NY Bow Opener

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

That is just great!!!! Congrats!!!! Great read and pictures!!! What part of Newyork do you hunt? My family owned a horse farm in Oneonta back in the 70s and80s. Hunted there many times kindof miss that!!! Again congrats!!! Sleeps
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Hey...that's awesome stuff right there! Congrats on a successful hunt, opening weekend at that. Sweet!
Looks like you'll have no problem filling the freezer... great grub.

Best of luck home here in Vermont WFW.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
MarknFish (Mark)
Species: All

Post by MarknFish (Mark) »

WFH -a very nice day and I bet you'll remember that one for a while. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the full freezer!
Fishdawg
Species: Salmon

Post by Fishdawg »

WFW Congratulations on a great hunt!! Great read as well! Good luck for the rest of the season!
shirefisher
Species: all

Post by shirefisher »

That is such an awesome hunt. I can only dream of a hunt like that! Good job. I got this week off in pursuit of a buck here in Vermont I got a couple on my list but no sign of them for a while. I haven't been out but once for a week. This weather is not great right now but at leat it's cool out. How bad was the wind when you scored your twofer? I seem to have bad luck in the wind over 15 knots or so...
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

Congrats on a fine display of marksmanship!!! Despite the winds deer were moving everywhere yesterday huh?? Must have been the long awaited cooler weather ;) Took out a very large "Alpha" doe yesterday myself. Good luck in VT, as you said the good times are just approaching!!! All indication point towards a VERY strong and active rut cycle..... get ready!!! :lol:
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

NICE! That's a perfect hunt right there. 2 for 1 special.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

What a great hunt and story... Congrats on the double.... I hope you had help dragging them....
Last edited by Reelax on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
vtperchman
Species: all

Post by vtperchman »

that is awesome :D
Kamel
Species: Those With Fins

Post by Kamel »

What a great report for a great hunt!

Congratulations! Epic. Absolutely epic.
Image Image The Canned One Image
JK47
Species: All Species

Post by JK47 »

Congrats on the successful hunt!!

What a feeling.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

Congrats on a great hunt and good shooting.
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

Turkeys, Geese, Ducks and Deer! Nothing is safe!!!!

When is the hunting widows sale at Lennys? I need some new Wolverines :D
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Sounds like a great hunt! Always nice to have some standing corn nearby!