Reporting from the stand

Share Hunting info.
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Reporting from the stand

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Picked a lovely week to take to hunt. Wind. Rain. Rain. Wet. Opening day I got wet wet wet n cold. Wish I had a towel to throw in but I left at 5:30. Snuck up on a doe with 2 skippers. 25 yards. They were eatin apples in my horse pasture. Maybe I gre sensitive over the years but I was gonna do it. But decided not to. Pouring rain equals lost game. Learned that already the hard way. So I let them be. They will be back!! :D

Typical early Oct hunting. Nocturnal and limited movement. Most I saw is in evenings going to food of some sort. Food I wasnt hunting over because I chose a different food source!! Lol. Lots of food out there still. Need good cold snap to rid foliage help with hearing movement. Little movement of anything on my end the past few days. Had sights set on bearded hen thats been hanging around. Havent even seen her yet!! Good luck folks that are out! Glad its hunting season again. !
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Reporting from the stand

Post by Reelax »

WFW you are hunting too hard.. Your typing is reverting to hunter gather'er language... :shock: I think it is great! Go get 'em... :P I have only been out 1X, and found fresh pics of a 6pt on my camera from the previous morning.. :roll: Picked wrong day! :? So far 3 bucks on pics, a 3pt, a 4pt and this 6pt.. No Doe? wierd. :?:

I want the 6, but the 3 or 4 better not tempt me... :mrgreen:
Matt B
blue lund
Species: salmon trout walleye

Post by blue lund »

[quote="WildFisherWoman"]Picked a lovely week to take to hunt. Wind. Rain. Rain. Wet. Opening day I got wet wet wet n cold. Wish I had a towel to throw in but I left at 5:30. Snuck up on a doe with 2 skippers. 25 yards. They were eatin apples in my horse pasture. Maybe I gre sensitive over the years but I was gonna do it. But decided not to. Pouring rain equals lost game. Learned that already the hard way. So I let them be. They will be back!! :D
quote]

Excellent point to make. Almost lost a 4 pointer years ago from the rain. Never bowhunted in the rain since.
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Moved setup to a great spot and im startin to see more deer. They havent been moving too much where I am but they moved last pm!

Had the "Dangerous Duo" come by last pm to visit. Ike and Mike the Spikes. They have been little butt buddies all season and they are still roaming together. I grunted them in. Was hilarious to watch them react to my calls. Got them at 10 yards and not one of them knew I was there. Then, Had a fat doe headin in from behind. She got all of 50 yards directly downwind from me and busted me. She bounded off blowin a storm. :D

BUT! I heard from buddy who weigh deer in at Mels in Jericho said that Mel had pic of 12 pt drop tine taken from somewhere in that vicinity this year with a bow. Lots of big bucks being weighed in I guess this year so far.

Headed to NY this weekend/week for bow opener. At least I know I will see deer there! :D
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
northernnightmare
Species: the finned variety

Post by northernnightmare »

Glad you are seeing some deer. My season is a bust so far. Not 1 deer seen. Never in my life have i had a bow season like this. I guess my only savior will be my trip to ohio at the end of the month.
OKRA II Not just a Veggie!!