My wife's niece's second buck in two years (Michigan)

Share Hunting info.
digitroll (ron)

My wife's niece's second buck in two years (Michigan)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Story copy and pasted from email:

I shot this little guy last Friday on the second day of the season. At 11AM I looked up and to my right (I was hunting in the bear blind) at 300 yards stood this HUGE buck- I could see his rack with my naked eye but he was gone before I could get the scope on him. At 11:10 on the center line a small buck walks out (I guessed he was a small 6pt but he was moving past - yummy consolation prize). He was 160 yards so I got the gun over and lined up my shot. I tried to find him on my own but I'm not good at tracking so after Dad and Uncle Mitchel found his deer (he shot a good size 8 at 8AM) they came and helped me look. We found the hair from the shot but no blood, after about 40min of circling Brandon whistled us over to him, he points out this tiny bit of blood that I really don't think was blood and he said "I'd ask your opinion but I found him already" so---- he was helping look and saw something glinting in the sun and it turned out to be my deer. Although he's a consolation prize, he is in the top ten deer taken from that property since Grandpa bought it 51 years ago, it will be the 3rd largest set of antlers hanging on the wall after I design my mount.

It took a while for my lucky accomplishment to sink in. On Monday when Brandon and Mitchel were brushing the Mud Blind, Brandon was on the left line and Mitchel and on the right and on the center line a huge buck was captured on the trail cam. At first Brandon thought it was the same big 8pt that he'd been watching pictures of from a few weeks before but I pointed out they were different. The Monday buck was bigger than the other one. Well, the Monday buck was my deer. I started to tell Mom this on the phone on Friday night and she goes very slowly and solemnly "You shot his deer? You shot HIS DEER??" and I start laughing and realize what happened. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and quite lucky but I do recognize that I very likely will not get a shot at a bigger deer the rest of my life, Brandon shot one bigger but not since he was 22.

It is an 8pt with an 18" span. The pictures do contain a dead animal but are not bloody or graphic.

Meghan
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: My wife's niece's second buck in two years (Michigan)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Congrats to your wife's niece.
It's a nice story to read.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
MarknFish (Mark)
Species: All

Post by MarknFish (Mark) »

Dang, that's one heck of deer. My congrats to the young lady.
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Way to go!
See you on the pond!