Moose and Deer and Big Ben Oh My!? Whats Next!?

Share Hunting info.
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Moose and Deer and Big Ben Oh My!? Whats Next!?

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Wow what a month! Where did October go? Hunting season is only 1/3 begun!

I started the season bagging the biggest trophy of them all! Big Ben :D :D ;)

photo hosting

Started bowhunting in NY on Oct1. Opening morning I was graced with a nice basket rack 7 point under my stand. I kept having recollections of last year on how I got the 2 for one on bow opener and remembered how happy I was then how sad I was that I couldn’t bowhunt the rut, and I let him walk past me. It was agony. AGONY! watching him walk away. :( I changed up strategies this year in NY. New spots. I let a lot lot lot of does pass. Ill inform you of my reasoning later in this post…. But one reason was I was eying a nice big buck that I had close encounters with but he never came close enough. I kept waiting for him to pop out but all that came were does and young bucks. I kid you not. I sat in my stand one pm in early Oct and saw 10 young bucks (forks and spikes) all skipping and knocking themselves around. I wish I had my camera. That was then though and the best is yet to come. Cant wait to get back for the rut that’s kicking in full swing. On another note, I did shoot this coyote with my bow. Wasted it at 25 yards with a double lung pass through. Ran 40 yards and dropped dead with a yelp. Deer Killer Down! :D

photo sharing

Then a week later, I had another filthy coyote under my stand at 10 yards. I drew my bow back, let the arrow rip and my cables jumped the cams! Almost send me flying out of the stand. Left me wondering … :shock: :shock: Resolved that issue and kept on keeping on.

Meanwhile back in VT I got this lovely doe on day 3 of the season. I couldn’t take it any longer. :D My itchy release finger just had to let it rip. She will eat well.

picture sharing

My bowhunting days in VT were very few. They have been few because luck of the draw sent Ben and me on a good ol’ VT moose hunting honeymoon. Hence the reasons for letting so much tasty meat pass me by in NY..... :shock: I had to anticipate for a "potentially" full freezer. :? :? Let me tell you… it was AWESOME! What an experience. Moose hunting isn’t like it used to be though so I have heard (I guess experienced as well). I had dreams and visions of big racked bulls being called out of the bogs… WRONG! We didn’t see a moose until the 3rd day and we hiked in and out and all over god’s country... for miles though bogs... up ridges... into cedar and spruce swamps so thick bunnies cant even go thought! Lost about 10lbs and only saw 4 moose. No huge bulls like in my mind. Sign galore but where are all the moose? On day 5 luck was on our side and we were graced with our so called honeymoon moose we stumbled upon way back in the bush. We both open fired and dropped her on the spot.

Our Honeymoon Moose :P

photo hosting

photo sharing

She will eat well….. as well!

Thanks to Hayden Tanner for helping us get it out and giving me the one of the coolest experiences EVER! If anyone ever needs a moose hauled this guy is great! After talking the poor guys ear off hiking back telling him my whole horsey life story, he let me personally ride his horse Tori and haul the moose out of the bush to the trucks (after he hauled it out of the bog) To a lifelong horsewoman this was heaven!

picture hosting

Most of all though we stayed at the best place in VT. Jacksons Lodge in Canaan. Gloria & Mark are the best! What other place for a deal gives you fully furnished personal cottage, game supper when you get home on opening day, and will personally hang your moose for you on their game pole. If anyone is ever looking for a little escape to the most beautiful, rural and wild place in VT check them out. I wish we had more time to really enjoy the week but it went by so fast and I never wanted to leave.

Well that’s it for now. Wonder what November will bring? :D :D Good luck in the woods and on the water everyone!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
bumpkin
Species: salmon

Re: Moose and Deer and Big Ben Oh My!? Whats Next!?

Post by bumpkin »

Congrats,to you both.Nice meats for the freezer glad you guys had fun .Hope to see you both at the store .BUMP.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

First a Very Big Congratulations and Best Wishes on your Wedding.

Wishing you both Health and Happiness and Good Fortune!

You are Beautiful and Ben Cleans up pretty well. I look forward to giving you a hug and shake the mans hand too!

Truly a very active month for you both and great success in the hunt. What no birds?

Hope to see you in the Shootout Awards & Barbecue!

Randy
Fish On!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks WFW, that is a very entertaining post.
The wedding picture is awesome.

Congrats on all your catches.... fox, deer, moose... luckily Big Ben didn't end up in the freezer too :D :D

Gerry
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Post by Trackertroller »

Super post, sounds like you guys had an awesome time, congrats and hope to make it north before the seasons close.
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"
Sea Hare
Species: all species

Post by Sea Hare »

Congratulations ! You guys had the best honeymoon ever. So happy for you both. Great pics and narrative. Keep it up, the season ain't over yet.

:D BB

( Jon )
It's not just a unit of measure !
MarknFish (Mark)
Species: All

Post by MarknFish (Mark) »

WFW - congrats to you and Ben and it looks like you two are enjoying yourselves. Full freezers are the way to go and that moose will do it. Two years ago watching the horse pull our moose out was one of my favorite scenes. See you guys this weekend.
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

Wild Fisher Woman landed the big one! :)
cowboy
Species: lakers/salmon

Post by cowboy »

congrats to the both of you.what an awsome start for your marrage.great job filling freezer. see you this weekend. cowboy
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Great month indeed!!!! Congrats to you both and hope you have many years of happiness!!!! Also great stories and pics !!! Sleeps
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Post by Ludo »

Congrats !

I thinks Big Ben was the easiest to catch :D
Wellsley (Frank)

Post by Wellsley (Frank) »

Great wedding pic. Congrats. Ben's a lucky man. A moose hunt for a honeymoon, nice. I think I'd be divorced if I tried that. Best of luck with the future. Keep the pic's coming and thanks for sharing.
shirefisher
Species: all

Post by shirefisher »

One of the coolest things I have read in a while! You guys are truly living the dream. I showed my wife your pictures and the whole story and she was impressed and interested! (I often find it hard or impossible to excite her with my outdoor storys.)
drachma
Species: Salmon, Lake Trout

Post by drachma »

Wow,

Congrats. It's like bagging the Trifecta!! :D
You two have a great remainder of the season.

Michael
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

That will be an Oct you both will never forget!
Matt B