Maine turkey, my second bird and final this season

Share Hunting info.
Dukdog
Species: Salmon

Maine turkey, my second bird and final this season

Post by Dukdog »

Great fun this morning!! I went back to the same place I shot my turkey a week or so ago. I was hopeful that there might be a new bird in the neighborhood and not long after I got close to my spot, I found my wish had come true!

Within 100 yards, I had 3 gobblers sounding off nicely and a really raspy yelper which I figured was a jake. About 150 yards off to my right were another pair of gobblers yacking back heartily every time the one's out front hit it. This had the makings of a good morning!!

After about 20 minutes, I heard flapping and saw a couple fly down into the field. This was followed by some serious hen yelping.
I was afraid those hens would take my gobblers for a walk as I've had happen to me many times. Today, they hung to the field.

I was sitting and leaning on the same tree I used the last time I was there! Off to my right, I see the 2 longbeards coming across the field toward the hens and other gobblers, Next thing I see is 3 hens running from 5 gobblers at about 40 yards. The game of chase lasted for a couple minutes more then I see some movement in the field and a nice fat doe walks into the middle of the turkeys and starts feeding.
2 of the gobblers started coming my way and I could tell exactly when they spotted my Jake and hen decoys! They broke into a run and came by me at about 15 yards going like hell toward the jake decoy. The first one was by me so fast, I couldn't get on him but when the second one hit my shooting lane I was ready and dropped him like a bad habit!! The other bird flushed and flew back next to the downed bird. He hung around for a long time until all the other birds came over to investigate. Ended up being 4 longbeards, a jake and 3 hens not counting the dead bird. The doe even hung around and came over to check out the dead fellow. I waited for over 20 minutes until they all wandered off before getting up so I wouldn't spook them bad.

Absolutely beautiful morning, cool enough to keep the bugs down yet not so warm that you had to overdress. My favorite kind of spring turkey hunt!! Lots of gobbling, cooperative birds and a good opportunity to take one!

Bird was a little light for a 3 year old. He weighted in at 16 pounds with a 10 inch beard and one 7/8" spur! The other one had been broken off, probably in a fight as you can see in one photo, it looks like it was recently broken.

Here he is where he fell coming down the woodroad!

He was headed for this pair of decoys in the woods road. I positioned the jake decoys between the hen decoy and where I figured the birds might show up. It worked awesome. They came tearing in after that jake like nobody's business

Interesting spurs, white and pretty pointed. The other one is torn off and the wound had not healed yet

Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Maine turkey, my second bird and final this season

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Congrats Dukdog.
Great report, with very interesting descriptions and pics.... I could almost picture myself there :)
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
VTgooseman
Species: Fish with Teeth!

Post by VTgooseman »

Nice bird. Ive always wanted to Turkey hunt Maine.
mac
Species: Salmon, Trout and Bass

Post by mac »

Congrats on the Maine double.. Great post.
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Nice job!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"