Jimbow's 2015 Bow Buck

Share Hunting info.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Jimbow's 2015 Bow Buck

Post by jimbow »

Since I posted the gun buck, I decided to post my bow buck too...I don't always have years as good as this but even a blind chicken gets some corn sometimes. I shot this buck 2 weeks ago, another cold morning. After seeing very little all season I decided to go out on the first really chilly morning (24 degrees). I got into the stand early (as usual) and was numb by day break, having taken in way too many goodies this year my cold weather bow stuff didn't quite fit. I dress as warm as possible but not enough. I was wondering if I could pull my bow back if something did walk by. Frost had formed on my arrow and bow as I sat there wondering what the heck I was doing being un-prepared as it were. A rabbit hopped by and I drew on it just to see if I could, I did, barely. As he hopped by I looked up and saw movement, it was a deer but I couldn't tell if it was a buck or a doe. I gave a few grunts on the deer call and it started towards me. I couldn't tell how big it was but I thought I saw horns. I gave another blast on the call. All of a sudden I heard a "snap!" behind me. As I slowly turned I saw the body of a deer coming down the trail behind me, As I got full positioned in the right direction I was shocked to see a beautiful 8 pt. standing about 15 yards away. His attention zoomed in on me like a lazer....we play chicken for what seemed like an eternity. He pawed the ground, lip curled and stared at me intently trying to get me to move. By this time I was shaking from the cold and excitement and I thought my teeth rattle would scare him alone. He broke his glance for a split second and I drew, he hopped 5 yards in a single bound (super deer) so I grunted with my voice, he made that fatal mistake of stopping broad side 20 yards away. The arrow slammed into his side and stopped on the opposite shoulder, burring it deep in bone. He ran off with half my arrow protruding from the one side, at about 40 yards away, I saw him slow down and wobble, I was praying he would drop right there but he continued on around bend out of sight. I was shaking now to say the least, this never used to get to me but I'm getting older and the deer come less often. I waited 45 LONG minutes and climbed out of the tree. To my disappointment, no blood! The arrow was still lodged in his shoulder when he took off, so I tried to follow the path he took threw the thick brush. Where I saw him wobble I saw the broken arrow on the ground, there was a small sappling with blood on it. The blood trail was sparse, but I got a direct of travel after he went around the bend. About another 40 yards away I found the buck near a cedar. He was in full rut, I could him 5 yards away, huge neck and a pleasant rack. his 8 pts boosted a 15 1/2 " inside spread, nice bases and long tines...I was a happy camper! He was 180 lbs at the butcher...yes I shot in the area I shot the 10....never saw either on my game cameras...must have come into the area during the rut.
Attachments
1109150926.jpg
1109150906.jpg
20151109_144101.jpg
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Jimbow's 2015 Bow Buck

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for the post Jim.
Looks like your freezer will be full this winter.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Post by cpmaple »

nice where do I sign up :lol: I cant complain 115lb bear with muzzle loader 3pt 140lb with rifle
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

great job jim now its time for fishing again. at least noone got your deer this time. congratulations on 2 big bucks.
Wellsley (Frank)

Post by Wellsley (Frank) »

Looks like you had a great year, congrats.
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

Very nice buck and read! :)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

You have had. Great season jimbow... What's next?
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Nice buck! Never know what will stroll by
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Nice buck, Jimbow! Congrats!