Son starts 2012 with Two Master Angler Entries

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
Kingfisher
Species: YES

Son starts 2012 with Two Master Angler Entries

Post by Kingfisher »

Finally, made it out on the hard water Sunday 1/29 with my son. I wanted to stay home and work on my tip ups and go another day, but my son wanted nothing to do with that. I've been fishing Mcquam (Swanton side) off Tabors point for a while now...my Dad lives up there and except for last year it has been a good place to get some perch and the wondering walleye/northern. The weather was very warm 30ish but the wind was a challenge all day. With no tip ups set up for pike we worked on replacing leaders and hooks for the first couple of hours and were "offically" all set up around 9. First tip up fire came at the hole closest to us where my son pulled in the first MA (youth) perch...12" yellow belly. Sorry no pic still trying to get off my phone. With the minnow still kickin'...luckly at $10 a dozen...back it went into the water. About 10 minutes later...wham up the same flag went...this time a 38" Northern that must have put on at least four runs as we tried to pull him through the hole. Image

That was all for the big fish...had one other flag, but didn't make it there in time. No snow on the ice, so do not go out there with out a good set of creepers...yikes. Once we started jigging the perch were right under the shanty. I was in about 8-10' and could see to the bottom and the perch were hammering everything that bounced around including my sinker?? We finished up with 7-8 dozen perch around 12 (daughter had a bball game) and we let the pike go to catch another day. Great day on the hard water and hope to get back out soon...hopefully the ice will still be there.

FYI...do not recommend trying to cross the pressure crack between Tabor Point and N. Hero...I tried and there was open water all the way across.. :(
Wellsley (Frank)

Re: Son starts 2012 with Two Master Angler Entries

Post by Wellsley (Frank) »

Nice Pike congrats.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

What a great way to start twenty-twelve...Congrats to you both!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

NICE!!
bow65lb
Species: Bass

Post by bow65lb »

Congrats... Nice fish and sounds like a great day on the ice...