1/31 Off of Sandbar beach

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

1/31 Off of Sandbar beach

Post by Del Gue »

Was looking for some salmon so I set up 300 yard out from the public beach at Sandbar. Ran nine tip-ups out from the beach starting in 3 feet of water and ending in 6 feet. Set up 5 Pike tip-ups starting where my Salmon ones ended. Only had one salmon on and lost it at the hole. It didn't want to come to the hole so it ran. I released the line to let it run but discovered too late that the line was wrapped around the fingers in my left hand. As soon as the slack ran out "Snap!" couldn't shake it free from my hand fast enough. Ended the day with 2 pike and one Bowfin. The pike were 12 pounds 2 oz and 7 pounds 1 oz. the ice was over 12 inches. A Lot of action out farther. Saw a lot of people fishing between the beach and Cedar and there was a large group along the east shore line. Thinking about fishing north of the cowbanks on Friday. Anyone wandered out that far to check the ice beyond the Cowbanks?
Attachments
pike4.jpg
sandbar.jpg
Bowfin.jpg
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: 1/31 Off of Sandbar beach

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Those pikes are fat.... too bad you lost the salmon.
Looks like you had another great time out there.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
jusfishin
Species: Salmon

Post by jusfishin »

I was out beyond you, white and yellow perch fishing was very good, the commercial guys were pounding that East corner for sure...I saw at least 20 wheelers over there....I worked the reef all the way across there, did very well just a touch north east of you........had friends north of cowbanks...5 inches of ice...plenty of perch......I fished there last week with tip-ups......no go on the silvers.....Nice job on the Pike n Bowfin...looks like you had a happy camper with you....
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Sound like a great time. Nice pike and bowfin. You keep the bowfin to make a chowder??? :D :D :D :shock:
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Post by Del Gue »

WildFisherWoman wrote:Sound like a great time. Nice pike and bowfin. You keep the bowfin to make a chowder??? :D :D :D :shock:
No, It went back in. I actually had to send a picture of it to Ben to ask what it was. :?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Very nice!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

I told him it was a sauger :D

Cow Banks 5-7" of great ice! We did a bucket of whites and yellows today I also lost a small salmon and had 3 more flags.