Saturday at The Gut.

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Saturday at The Gut.

Post by Del Gue »

Headed out at 6 with my son and my Dad. After a brief stop at Dockside for some bait, we were off to the Gut. Dragged the sled out to the ice (12 inches) and was set up by 7. By 9 we were joined by 50-75 of our closest friends, 8 ATVs, 2 trucks and a camper. It looked liked the Champlain Vally Fair out there. We all did our best to accommodate and share the ice. The bite was slow but consistent. Perch, bass and pike were tripping the flags. At 11 one of our farthest flags went off. I got excited because I had baited it with one of the larger shiners. My son grabbed the line and started to work the fish. It was fun to watch him doing everything I had taught him. Slowly pulled the line in until he felt the fish and then set the hook. He would pull her in until she ran and then let the line loose. when she would stop running he would pull her back in. I told him " when you get her to the hole and she sees you get ready because she will take off again" sure enough, boom! off she goes. This happened 3 times and the total fight took about 5 min or so. He finally got her to the hole and worked her head into position and pulled her through. When about 6 inches of her was through the swivel snapped. It was one of those moments that freeze time. He and I standing there for what felt like an hour, unable to move watching this fish "almost" on the ice. She pumped her tail and FLOP! right on the ice! 34 inches and 9 pounds 5 oz of pike flopping around. A Lot of yelling and high fives. Not the largest pike ever but the most enjoyable one I've watched landed! I had kept a few on Thursday so after a few pictures back she went.
Ended the day with 5 pike, 2 bass and 8 Pickerel landed. Also had about a quarter of a pail of nice size perch to clean for dinner. The bite shut off after 11. I think the noise on the ice that day drove most of the fish off. They will be back!
Attachments
Seanplayingpike2.JPG
Seanplayingpike.JPG
SeanandDavewith9lbpike.JPG
perch.jpg
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Re: Saturday at The Gut.

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Way to go! What a great time. He looks like he had a blast out there.... :D
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great story and nice catch.... a moment you and your son will cherish forever.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
snogoose
Species: salmon, trout, perch, smelt

Post by snogoose »

Very nice story! we saw the "Fair" as we drove past to Dilllenbeck. On the way home around noon. we all agreed "shoulda' turned left insteada right on the way up!"...Nice day for both of you! Congratulations!
Brian
Species: fin fish

Post by Brian »

A good story of a very memorable day. Thanks for sharing.
Got bass thumb?
Wellsley (Frank)

Post by Wellsley (Frank) »

Great pic, he won't forget that day right away.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Great post, great fish, great day on Champlain. Congrats to you all!
Very nicely done.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
lazycs

Post by lazycs »

nice report, looks like a good day on the ice, creepers look like they where a must...
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Very nicely done.. One proud and happy looking boy there... He is hooked for life!
Matt B