Sand Bar

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Sand Bar

Post by Del Gue »

Has anyone fished Sandbar? I drove by it today and saw that it was frozen. I was wondering how think the ice is. I am hitting the ice on friday and may walk out on sandbar tomorrow to drill some holes just to check the ice.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
Matt
Species: Any

Re: Sand Bar

Post by Matt »

Ice is good out to a point...fish not so much. Ran into a few spots holding Perch but didn't search hard...most fish were small but you might have better luck. I may be out there Sat.
Del Gue

Post by Del Gue »

Thanks Matt. I am going to set up for pike and see what happends.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
Del Gue

Post by Del Gue »

Walked straight out from the pull off on the causeway about 200 yards or so drilling every 30 feet. The average was 8 inches with the thinnest being 6" and the thickest being 10". Anyone found anything different?
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Sounds like -
Game On!!

Ken
Black Ghost (Ken)
Del Gue

Post by Del Gue »

Went out yesterday. Walked from the parking area to about 100-200 yards past the causeway pulloff, out about 150 yards from shore. Ice was a solid 6 inches being 8 inches in places. As you walk west and start to hit the anchor ice passed the pull off it starts to drop to 5 inches. This time of year 5 inches is my limit. No sense in pushing it, the big fish weren't biting anyway. Couple small perch, that was it.
Del Gue

Post by Del Gue »

Tried it again on Sunday. A little better success. A dozen or so small perch, 5 Bass (very fat), 1 Pickerel and 2 Pike. My son was in the driver's seat for the bigger one. I had to laugh because he kept trying to hand me the line every time the pike took off saying "Daddy, you catch it". These Pike put up more of a fight then the Bluegills he's been catching off the dock.
Used Dockside medium shiners on 60 lb fluorocarbon 2.5 feet down. ;)
Attachments
Sean Pike.jpg
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

Dockside bait at the Sandbar pricless! The Sandbar is a sleeper for sure, but it's looking pretty good this early.

Thanks for the report!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I bet both of you are glad he hung in there with that pike. Look at his fish...look at his smile! 8-)
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
makrug
Species: most of em

Post by makrug »

Oh that's what wonderful memories are made of.

Great fish.

MK :D
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I think with the high water last year we are in for a banner winter with the PIKE bite! They seem to be all over... Gotta like the look on your sons face!
Matt B
Champlainbaits
Species: Bass - Pike - Bowfin

Post by Champlainbaits »

Nice fish, and thanks for sharing the details. I walked on the ice today in mallett's bay for the first time. Didn't go out far because just yesterday there was still open water not too far from shore. I'm planning to head out with the auger late this week and measure the ice so I can see it's game on.

Today is the first day that I can't see any open water in any direction so I'm hopeful.

Best of luck out there.
For some people it's "one more drink" or "one more bet" for me the lie is "just one more cast" :)
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Thats adorable. Happy guy!!!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
champlain fisher
Species: salmonoids

Post by champlain fisher »

nice fish young man - awesome!!!!!
Salmon, the other pink meat.