Golden Eyes!

Share Hunting info.
shirefisher
Species: all

Golden Eyes!

Post by shirefisher »

So, I have never had the pleasure of shooting at such fast ducks and in the late season! I don't think I have had more than a couple of chances in the past as most my friends didn't want to go out in the brutal Cold of late season for duck hunting!
Well we went out in the cold dark night and set up in the upper Inland Sea... by 0600 we were set. I still wasn't sure what to think... I was comfortable even though there was a considerable North West wind but we found a great point on the lee side of the weather and set up a few dozen decoys and laid down in our pop-up blinds. Well in no time the tell tale sound of whistlers could be heard all about! Maybe this was worth it! Just as shooting time hit there were a number of volleys and some birds down! These little guys can really move. We shot some hens and my buddy the "guide" showed us how it was done, within no time he shot 3x and had 3 whistler drakes down just like that before I had my safety off! Oh he could have had more down but was busy retrieving our birds with the boat!

So here is the mix of shot me and my other partner let fly to take 6 birds:

Here is our dinner!

1 green head to the mix, I should have a couple of other mallards but I was too damn impressed with their speed and size too shoot fast enough!!!! Whistler taste good!
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Re: Golden Eyes!

Post by riverrunner »

On the last day we saw a pile of birds in big groups. Litterally hundreds in flocks zipping down the lake. We got to watch many flocks fly by. None close enough to shoot besides a pair of mallards that came in. A fun season over all!