Scored an assist!

Share Hunting info.
shirefisher
Species: all

Scored an assist!

Post by shirefisher »

So tried a lot of new grounds and some old this week. I went for a still hunt with a buddy on some nice thick stuff and found some deer that were willing to play. It was great I jumped two groups in about 30 minuted into the hunt. This was before the snow so I lucked out and followed the upturned leaves and the tracks in the mud. Lots of little tracks but some real heavy bigger tracks that stood out. I weaved in and around a swamp until the trail went into the swamp, darn! Now what.

Well half a$$ed decided to look into the swamp from some elevation and whoa, jump, hop splash, big rack moving through the swamp, I don't like to shoot a moving deer but he stopped for a second found him in my scope and let one rip just in front as I was leading thinking he would step into it. Nope, But when that smoke pole went off, the swamp was a lit with jumping deer, I don't know how many but it was crazy! So I dropped 6 pellets into the water, almost dropped my rod and finally reloaded and called my buddy to tell him a good buck was headed his way! I watched him move about 200 yards and he was going North where, I didn't get the call off and BBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Phone rings 1 minuted later, "Dude I got a 6 pointer on the ground, it just ran in front of me and I grunted it stopped I shot it dropped in it's tracks!!!"

My friend got a great spine/lung shot and end of story 6 pts, 162 pounds!!! A pretty good VT buck from the flatlands!

vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Re: Scored an assist!

Post by vtfishin »

Congrats! That's a beaut!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Very cool!
Very exciting!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Nice! That other antler is funky! Hes got character. "the claw". Sweet!!!! Was tough TOUGH VT season. Glad to see some folks got in on some buck action.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
vtperchman

Post by vtperchman »

nice buck
shirefisher

Post by shirefisher »

WildFisherWoman wrote:Nice! That other antler is funky! Hes got character. "the claw". Sweet!!!! Was tough TOUGH VT season. Glad to see some folks got in on some buck action.
His back point was broke off which certainly gave him some character! If you saw some of the trees he was rubbing it made sence, real big hardwoods.

Deer season is over.... on to coyotes. Went calling tonight, no takers but real soon as there is sign all over!