12/8/14 frostbite river fishing updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: 12/8/14 frostbite river fishing, pic chunky brown page 11

Post by fishy1 »

Windknot wrote:Thanks for the report Matt im anxious to get back at the salmon. Things are still slow in Pulaski so I may hit a Lake Champlain trib this weekend.
wow your still around how has the fishing been so far for you. i heard pulaski is slow to . is it because of the low water and water temperature?
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

Yeah it was pretty slow on the Salmon River for this time of year. I've not seen the water this low in a while and its keeping the vast majority of fish from running for the time being. It was a great summer for fishing for me otherwise, got into some nice trout and a few stripers and mackerel down in Old Orchard Beach during my vacation. Here's a decent brown I caught on the Ausable in mid-Sept.: https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 7352_o.jpg
Im heading back down to Pulaski on Friday and hopefully Ill have a little more success. Ill post some pictures this weekend. Have you seen or heard if the salmon have started moving up the Boquet River yet? After Pulaski that's my next destination :)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Windknot wrote:Yeah it was pretty slow on the Salmon River for this time of year. I've not seen the water this low in a while and its keeping the vast majority of fish from running for the time being. It was a great summer for fishing for me otherwise, got into some nice trout and a few stripers and mackerel down in Old Orchard Beach during my vacation. Here's a decent brown I caught on the Ausable in mid-Sept.: https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 7352_o.jpg
Im heading back down to Pulaski on Friday and hopefully Ill have a little more success. Ill post some pictures this weekend. Have you seen or heard if the salmon have started moving up the Boquet River yet? After Pulaski that's my next destination :)

I am not sure if they were up the Boquet yet, but they sure are out front staging already... :o
Matt B
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

Reelax wrote:I am not sure if they were up the Boquet yet, but they sure are out front staging already... :o
Its the same situation on Lake Ontario right now, the boats seem to be having a good deal of success at the mouth but the water is so low and warm in the SR that many fish haven't made their run yet. Im hoping that the biological clocks of these salmon kick-in this weekend and give us some good action! I guess I may have to wait until end Oct-beg Nov for the Lake Champlain salmon from the sounds of it. I need to get a boat!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/7/2016 fished a river this morning with streamer (mike) and black fly (wayne) going to join me . got to the river at 6:30 am and brought both salmon/sreelhead rods down 1 for drfiting and 1 for casting lures. was putting my bobber out ist with a dillie and drifting then would cast my other rod while my bobber was drifting down river. bobber down at 6:50 am but i landed a fall fish. at 7:10 am casting with that orange lure i was approx. 15 feet out and a big salmon slammed it and it startled me so i set the hook and pulled the lure right out of his mouth. a decent 4 or 5 lb salmon. never saw the fish until it hit my lure in 10 inches of water there was a shadow there from the trees. then at 7:40 am had another hit on that lure and a miss and also had the bobber down with another fall fish on. then streamer showed up and wayne and his son later. big salmon were busting water where i couldn make a drift so i told them im going over on the other side of the river. streamer got his canoe and checked everything out for me where i was casting and wayne stayed put. streamer said there was lots of bait just below me and kind of weedy. then he headed down a little farthur with his canoe and started fishing. around 9:20 am bobber down and salmon on busting water on me and the 3rd huge jump he threw the hook. what a show the salmon put on not a big one but a leaper to say the least. wayne and mike missed that show but a fly fisherman above did and he gave me thumbs up and said that is the only salmon he has seen on a rod this week. left at 10:30 am no salmon movement at all and very warm. up until then wayne and mike no fish on.
flyfish1
Species: Fish on the Fly

Post by flyfish1 »

Hi guys
Fair amout of fish has entered the river. The best times are mornings so far. Once the sun gets up there's no need to stick around. Water is still warmish at 60F.
I was fortunate enough to hook into this male with a mickey finn streamer. So far, fly fishing seems to catch more fish.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

flyfish1 wrote:Hi guys
Fair amout of fish has entered the river. The best times are mornings so far. Once the sun gets up there's no need to stick around. Water is still warmish at 60F.
I was fortunate enough to hook into this male with a mickey finn streamer. So far, fly fishing seems to catch more fish.
thanks for the post. you are so right about the water being warm it was 63 degrees friday morning. that is a nice looking male you landed. its going to cool down some we will see what happens.
flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

Hi guys
Did you receive any rain today at Plattsburgh ?
Thanks
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

flyfish1 wrote:Hi guys
Did you receive any rain today at Plattsburgh ?
Thanks
raining here where i live now but not much. going to post this mornings fishing shortly.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/8/2016 hit the river this morning at 6:30 am expecting lots of fisherman and i was right parking areas were full. wayne and his son were already there and mike didnt show up because he was sick. i fished across the river from wayne and the bite just wasnt there for anyone for the ist 2 hours. i was drifting with a bobber and a dillie an dwayne and his son the same. one guy spin casting and a good number of canadian fisherman above us. at 9 am or so my bobber started up stream at a fast pace but missed the fish and after i missed it busted water and put on a show. then at 9:30 am bobber down and fish on i land a small salmon around 17 inches released it . 5 minutes later bobber down again and i land a 13 or 14 inch brown released that also. no hits after that and i left at 11 am to do some turkey hunting. went over and talked to wayne and he said he had one almost pull the rod out of his hand . said he wasnt paying attention again and missed. :lol: they were staying and havent heard from him yet. no fish were landed besides mine when i was there. one of the canadian fly fisherman told me that when he was wading in the river he had a salmon bust water 2 feet from him.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/17/2016 hit a river this morning with wayne catching up to me later on. tried something different today fished with streamers and flys under a bobber. started fishing at 7:30 am after the 1 hour trip with plenty of salmon busting water . nothing for an hour when suddenly while i was retrieving my line in i had a fierce hit and fish on only to have it unhook after busting water. a decent size salmon that hit my black streamer wooly bugger. decided to move down stream and hook up with wayne at 9 am . plenty of salmon busting water there to but no takers at all and i changed flys and streamers 4 times. wayne had no luck at all either as he was drifting a preserved minnow and casting lures. i left at 12:30 pm for my trip home. i didnt see any fish caught of the 8 fly fisherman i saw. one fisherman up stream landed 2 browns. it was a challenge for me drifting the flys and streamers but i will try it again. i remember jack the kid from china had good success with flys drifting under a bobber and i have even seen fly fisherman using bobbers.
flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

You are one step closer to the dark side. You should really get into the fly fishing. I can make you your first salmon fly that will catch , even under a bobber ;)

I LL make it for you and next time we meet on the water I will hand it over to you !

See u soon
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

flyfish1 wrote:You are one step closer to the dark side. You should really get into the fly fishing. I can make you your first salmon fly that will catch , even under a bobber ;)

I LL make it for you and next time we meet on the water I will hand it over to you !

See u soon
i will be looking forward to it but not sure about being a fly fisherman though.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/18/2016 i was supposed to go pan fishing this morning but for some reason i had the urge to go back to a river. very warm but left the house at 6:10 am and would call wayne and text mike when i got there. got there at 7 am and gave wayne a call and he was surprised and said he would be right down. we fished in one hole for 2 hours with fish busting water 2 hours but no hits at all. i was using a olive wooly bugger streamer and wayne a dillie and sometimes a lure. asked wayne about another hole that we should try and he said lets do it. i was using a dillie there and sometimes casting with my other rod a rapala. wayne was casting a spoon he never caught anything on and bang fish on he lands a nice 20 inch brown that did 3 or 4 nice jumps before he landed it. then i had a bobber start up stream and i missed. so then we decided to hit another hole that we both like to fish. i put a floating rapala and used just 1 rod. wayne put on a fly and was casting that spoon again. my 2nd cast the rapala hit the water a big salmon exploded straight up in the air with the rapala hanging on the edge of mouth when it went down under the hooks let loose. what a show wayne and i just were startled to say the least. had to take the rapala off because of all the debris leaves branches and so on floating down the river. so i put a small little cleo on and 2nd cast with that fish on right in front of wayne only to bust loose. i dont even think those small treble hooks were even hooked on its mouth. wayne jumped up as he was in his tackle box and the fish was no more than 5 feet from him when it hit. had a decent day with fish busting water all morning and all 3 holes . hopefully soon we figure out what they are feeding on . this very warm weather will also probably affect the run as the water is very low . :)Imageimagehosting
here is wayne with his 20 inch brown
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

A nice fall day on the river fishing with friends life is good. Nice pic of Wayne and his big brown.
Keep up the wonderful reports