12/8/14 frostbite river fishing updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: 12/8/14 frostbite river fishing, trout and salmon pics a

Post by fishy1 »

bagman wrote:So are there pictures of these 31" steelhead? Just curious That would put them in the 10lb plus range.I have fished steelhead in the tribs for many years and have caught 19 this spring and have also been present when many others were caught and haven't seen a 31" fish yet. My biggest this year went 26" measured with a tape measure. I'd love to see one
yes there is i have one on my computer saved from a freind who caught it this week. will try and see how i can post it from my mail. the fish weighed 9.45 lbs and the steelie lost its eggs while measuring it. might take me awhile so be patient might need raz,s help again
Attachments
image.jpg
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

Wow Beauty!
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Matt(fishy1) has an amazing fishery on the NY side of champlain. He was kind enough to show me around - wow.....kind of puts our Champ tribs to shame. The run is pretty much done over there, but I still managed a 25.5" and two in the low 20's today. Saw the biggest champlain steelhead of my life as well. Over 30". Moved him once with a streamer and then he was never to be seen again. I had 11 fish on and landed 5 at Lewis after work on Friday. With the last one I lost being bigger than all the others (25-26"). Hooked it before dark, played it into dark and had it pop off as I went to net it. That place has just become a zoo. Hit it on my way back today and stuck a nice 20" maroon colored male and lost two that were a bit bigger. NEK is heating up finally, I know where I'll be next weekend. :)
bagman

Post by bagman »

Lewis has become a bit of a zoo. Lot of foul hooking going on there. On a side note I put my boat in today (first trip) and low and behold the first fish to hit the deck was a beautiful steelhead
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

bagman wrote:Lewis has become a bit of a zoo. Lot of foul hooking going on there. On a side note I put my boat in today (first trip) and low and behold the first fish to hit the deck was a beautiful steelhead
Sweet.
Those fish you guys catch from the tribs are amazing. To think they are in the lake, avoiding all the steel and flies being pulled around is baffling.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Attachments
image.jpg
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Attachments
image.jpg
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

i had the opportunity of witnessing this 32 inch plus steelhead that vt matt caught and had to take the pics because his phone was somewhere up river over 100 feet from where he hooked this beast. matt fell in the river at least 2 times and when he reached the fish he fell again and had to cup the fish in his arms as it wouldnt fit in his trout net. an incredible beast and one happy fisherman plus a very happy witness. it was just so amazin to see this right before my eyes and the fish of a lifetime for vtmatt. if i had time to think i would have videod it.
Last edited by fishy1 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

fishy1 wrote:i had the opportunity of witnessing this 32 inch plus steelhead that vt matt caught and had to take the pics because his phone was somewhere up river over 100 feet from where he hooked this beast. matt fell in the river at least 2 times and when he reached the fish he fell again and had to cup the fish in his arms as it wouldnt fit in his trout net. an incredible beast and one happy fisherman plus a very happy witness. it was just so amazin to see this right before my eyes and the fish of a lifetime for vtmatt. if i had tiem to think i would have videod it.
the steelhead was released unharmed.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Still processing that catch. Wow......might take a day or two before it hits me. I'm just dumbfounded right now!
tiny

Post by tiny »

Wow matt that is a gorgeous fish!
bagman

Post by bagman »

Yes sir!
Matt

Post by Matt »

bagman wrote:Lewis has become a bit of a zoo. Lot of foul hooking going on there. On a side note I put my boat in today (first trip) and low and behold the first fish to hit the deck was a beautiful steelhead
Bunch of hacks fishing there most of the time now....pushing all of us legal guys away. Makes me sick to fish near people like that. Watched a guy with a flyrod today on my way home chucking about 1 oz of splitshot, then a 2-foot leader and a fly on the end. Was lifting every drift until he turned around and saw me watching him. It's too bad...funny thing is I caught all my fish in water that everyone walks by and doesn't think twice about fishing. Didn't make it to the section above the falls, and I'm sure there were quite a few up there....you head up there at all?
bagman

Post by bagman »

Was his fly reel spooled with mono? If so I've seen him. Raking and lifting the tailout. There will be more of this because its become acceptable "fishing" in NY. Haven't fished upstream and haven't been there in over a week. Did my damage early with snow on the ground and nobody around. Matt are you keeping track of finclips> left rear are Chambers creek and right rear are Magog. I have not caught a Magog fish yet and others I have talked to are having the same results. Which basically tells me the 10'000 Magog fish stocked are unsuccessful. If they go full Chambers creek the run should be way better. Are you listening Brian Chipman? Matt congratulations on a beautiful fish. Hopefully many more to come. Did you ever hear what happened to our Winooski snagger? We should hook up (no pun intended) sometime
fishfarmer
Species: Piscies

Post by fishfarmer »

bagman wrote:Was his fly reel spooled with mono? If so I've seen him. Raking and lifting the tailout. There will be more of this because its become acceptable "fishing" in NY. Haven't fished upstream and haven't been there in over a week. Did my damage early with snow on the ground and nobody around. Matt are you keeping track of finclips> left rear are Chambers creek and right rear are Magog. I have not caught a Magog fish yet and others I have talked to are having the same results. Which basically tells me the 10'000 Magog fish stocked are unsuccessful. If they go full Chambers creek the run should be way better. Are you listening Brian Chipman? Matt congratulations on a beautiful fish. Hopefully many more to come. Did you ever hear what happened to our Winooski snagger? We should hook up (no pun intended) sometime
It sounds like the Chamber's Creek are performing better based on what is showing in the fin clips. I think there is another year or two for the study.

I'm probably going to do a drive by and see how many people are hitting Lewis....I was more thinking early bass right now :D . I don't feel like slogging through the fields with waders on when it is 80. I'm set on launching the canoe and looking for bowfin. 8-)