Active week on Surprise

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Active week on Surprise

Post by Surprise »

Hey all, It's been pretty active and fun first week of my Frostbite season.

We got into a pod of brown trout and got to harass them for a few days. We even showed a few of them the inside of my bucket to take home. Most of the salmon and trout were released back after showing them what a nice boat the new Surprise is. We have limited our fishing to the upper part of the water column 30-35 on riggers and longlines in the 5- 15 ft range with spoons being the most productive. I am pained that my flies on flyrods have fallen from favor with our fish. Colors for us has been silver and brass with copper and Flo-red not so well.

I love this boat. It's my second season on the 1999 Alumacraft Trophy 195. I'm trying to do slow but sure changes and additions that will make it into another comfortable fishing platform that my previous Sylvan Sportster was for 25 years. The 90 hp Evinrude E-Tec runs flawlessly and sips 1/2 the gas of my 1987 40hp Johnson. 4 times out and I couldn't add a full 10 gal of fuel. On the helm I turned a 5 inch Hummingbird into a Navionics GPS only and added a Lowrance Elite 7 graph and X4 FisHawk for a steady data stream that is easy on old eyes. Canvas by Vermont Custom Canvas and Mr. Buddy heater keeps us cozy in the cabin. Scottie downriggers on the back make rigger fishing rather painless.

It ain't all about fishing but some great lunches too! I look and am real sure that we will get into January Frostbiting without much trouble. It's great to see the fleet grow as more fishermen come out and join the fun! Nice to yack with and see you all. Stay safe.

Brown trout gravlax

Mallard Duck Breast with wine sour cherry sauce over noodles

Last edited by Surprise on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish On!
digitroll (ron)

Re: Active week on Surprise

Post by digitroll (ron) »

It takes almost a full second season to really dial in a boat! :) (Mine is at that stage too) Yours is exceptional! I bet Crabman likes the updated former boat and can catch rides with you. The brownies have been on fire with your program and a mix of browns and salmon make for a very entertaining outing. The food is even more amazing in the photos.

Great stuff! Unreal fuel mileage too!

Ron
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Glad to see your season is finally here Randy. Good to hear you on the radio Monday! The boat looks great and seems to fish even better!
Matt B
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Nice ride!
See you on the pond!
lazycs

Post by lazycs »

There's no mistaking Dennis's signature side curtains. boats looking real good Randy..
Your on the water table fare looks like something you'd find on a menu in a fancy restaurant in downtown Manhatten.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great report Randy.
Your ride looks very nice, you are setting it for your need.

Those browns and salmons will end up in another incredible dish.

Looking at your pics got me back to the kitchen to grab something to eat. It's very appetizing.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Randy are you sure your not at least part Italian?!! You sure do eat like one !!! Ha Ha !! Nice looking boat all decked out!!! Sleeps