Question On auto pilots

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
jim
Species: Salmon, Trout

Question On auto pilots

Post by jim »

I have been thinking about getting an auto pilot but not sure where to even begin.
I have twin outboards with hydraulic steering but no booster pump so manual. Lots of room by the motors and under the back but not in center console for hardware.
I have an Lowrance HDS8 and some older Furuno's with radar, gps, and sonar. 2002 era.

Anyone have suggestions on where to get something put in or if its straight forward to do yourself?
Thoughts on brands and costs. I really dont want to spend a fortune but i know they are not cheap.

thanks,

Jim
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Question On auto pilots

Post by Reelax »

Digitroll (Ron Winter) is our resident expert on autopilots... I would PM him, or call him at VT home and Marine..

I have seen the new version that Griz has on his boat and was VERY impressed. It will follow waypoints, or repeat patterns.
Matt B
jim
Species: Salmon, Trout

Post by jim »

Thanks for the info
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

The Garmin autopilot products are very nice. Shelburne Shipyard sells and installs them.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

If you have hydraulic steering I would recommend a service shop with experience to install your autopilot.

Ray Marine's new Evolution series with the patented 6 axis Gyro to replace the fluxgate compass is the cutting edge stuff out there right now if your in the market for an autopilot with lots of happy customers after 2 seasons with this new technology. The major AP brands are all good as I have a Simrad 2403 on it's second season for hydraulic steering. The Raymarine folks with the Evolution series units are redefining the landscape with a fantastic product and software. The price point is $700-$1,000 less for the Ray Marine EV-100 for hydraulic over the competition.

Having it done right by a qualified shop and not cutting corners is the best advice I can give anyone looking at an Autopilot. Support after and install is key from your installer. Not fun troubleshooting a self install.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Lowrance are coming with a AP ; 2 models will be available: rotary for non hydraulic and a hydraulic.

They will interface by NMEA 2000 and control through you're HDS.

It will also have roughly the same capability of the Simrad 2403 and most important the srp is around $900
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Excellant Andre! Thanks for the info!
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Installed the Raymarine EV-200 Sportpilot on my Islander cable steered boat this year and all I can say is Wow! I could not be happier. It makes trolling so much easier. Lots of good stuff out there, good luck and happy shopping!

*Now I have to upgrade my chartplotter (HB-958) so I can utilize all its capabilities. It never ends! LOL*
See you on the pond!
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

I would have to say that Lowrance will need to step up their poor customer service if they are going to offer AP's. There is more to an AP then plug and chug of a fish finder so they can expect some calls. They make a nice product but service and support is absolutely terrible based on experience.