fizzing

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
will nolan (swilly)
Species: whatever bites!

fizzing

Post by will nolan (swilly) »

so what I'm hearing is the best way to release cold water fish from depth is to puncture a hole in the bladder to relieve pressure and help return equilibriumso the fish can swim back to its desired depth. this is practiced and proven. it is recommended for lake trout and salmon specifically. anyone no of this or practice this technique.
Will nolan "swilly"
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Re: fizzing

Post by Captain Paul »

I have heard of it but never used it I have had to squeeze some air out of there bladder before to get them to go done but very unusual they normally take right off if handled right and I release about 1500 a year . Brad Young from US FISH &WILD LIFE was the way in Captain at Shelburne ship yard for LCI this year and I also saw him us the same tactic of pushing from the rear of the fish to the head to squeeze some air out
will nolan (swilly)

that's very interesting captain Paul. I would think a little poke to the belly which can be done in the net in the water with a little handling of the fish would probably seem to be the way to goI'm surprised more people are not doing this. Particularly with fish from a hundred feet of water
Will nolan "swilly"
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

I guess the question would be exactly were do you poke the fish because I believe there air blade is up against there back bone
will nolan (swilly)

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/?s=fizzing check it out. Simple enough. I seen him do it on some salt water fishing shows on TV as well. Pretty interesting
Will nolan "swilly"
Shortstop
Species: Any

Post by Shortstop »

Will, I have used this method on smallmouth and one lake trout. Most of the Florida fish are very similar to smallmouth and can not
expel air from their bladder. Salmon and Lake trout can expel air.... I have a needle but do not use it (other than once for a lake trout).
Captain Bob
will nolan (swilly)

thanks Captain Bob for the response. So you're suggesting this method not be used I'm fish from Lake Champlain despite coming from such depths
Will nolan "swilly"
Shortstop
Species: Any

Post by Shortstop »

Will

Yes, I would not use this method for Salmon and Lake Trout. Bass can use it but it does put a lot a stress on the
fish.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I have used the burp method that Capt Paul suggests on lakers with good results. I have never seen a salmon need it.
will nolan (swilly)

I really appreciate the feed back from you gents. Was just reading along and noticed the topic. Thought It was a good topic with all the handling of fish that's going around. Good to know.....
Will nolan "swilly"
4cs
Species: Salmon, Trout

Post by 4cs »

One thing that's always bother me about puncturing a fish's air bladder is that fish will will not be able to use it's air bladder until the puncture heals, I don't believe it heals or seals up right away so if that fish needs to move up to feed it won't be able to.

We use the same method as Capt Paul and Reelax, we gently burp the fish and then release it, works good for us.
Crazy Ivan Lures

http://www.crazyivanlures.com/

Eat, Sleep, Fish and then a Crown Royal