Dipsy Line Recommendation

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
Scully
Species: All

Dipsy Line Recommendation

Post by Scully »

A few years ago my father bough a trolling boat all equipped and with it was two dipsy rods with spring tips and steel braided line. Last year the line broke a few times for no apparent reason, not near the end, so figured it's time to change the line. I have no clue what diameter or # test steel line is on there now. We use #1 dipsy when trolling down 50-100 feet deep and usually just need 150-180 feet of wire to accomplish this. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Gray Ghost
Species: salmon

Re: Dipsy Line Recommendation

Post by Gray Ghost »

Scully wrote:A few years ago my father bough a trolling boat all equipped and with it was two dipsy rods with spring tips and steel braided line. Last year the line broke a few times for no apparent reason, not near the end, so figured it's time to change the line. I have no clue what diameter or # test steel line is on there now. We use #1 dipsy when trolling down 50-100 feet deep and usually just need 150-180 feet of wire to accomplish this. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
7 strand stainless steel #30 lb. should be good. Set the dipsy to release at 5 to 6 lb. of pull. Less than that will self release and more could break your line.
http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/store ... e_Line.htm
Gus
Tight Lines
Scully
Species: All

Re: Dipsy Line Recommendation

Post by Scully »

Thanks for the info.