Solar battery maintainers?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
swallowmypride
Species: walleye

Solar battery maintainers?

Post by swallowmypride »

Does anyone use them? Can you recommend one? Are they even worth it?
:?: :?:
tuckhunts87
Species: salmon, lakers, bass, pike

Re: Solar battery maintainers?

Post by tuckhunts87 »

i'm interested in this aswell. my motor doesn't charge my battery so I was thinking about a solar panel
rockntroll
Species: Northern, Salmon, Lakers

Post by rockntroll »

We have one mounted on top of the outboard. The kicker does not have a charger and running electronics while trolling wanted to help the battery out. Does it make a difference? I believe so as I carry one of those jump boxes just in case and never had to use it for starting the boat after fishing.
swallowmypride

Post by swallowmypride »

rockntroll wrote:We have one mounted on top of the outboard. The kicker does not have a charger and running electronics while trolling wanted to help the battery out. Does it make a difference? I believe so as I carry one of those jump boxes just in case and never had to use it for starting the boat after fishing.
What flavor and size is it?? That is exactly what we were looking to do, charge stuff while using the kicker and running all the electronics! :P
Off season
Species: Salmon/Lakers

Post by Off season »

I have a cabelas 1.8 amp solar maintainer, sits by windshield. I also put a power pulse on my batteries, this seems to help also. My Nissan kicker doesn't charge batteries so when im done trolling I try to run big engine a little while to charge back up. The maintainer does seem to help. Paul "OFF SEASON"
"OFF SEASON"
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I just got a cabelas fathers day sale catalog in mail. They have a 12v, 5 watt one for sale now at $30, 50% off!

18"x14"... Brand is Sunforce
rockntroll
Species: Northern, Salmon, Lakers

Post by rockntroll »

I think the one I have is 1.5 and came from West Marine in So, Burl under 30.00.
swallowmypride

Post by swallowmypride »

Reelax wrote:I just got a cabelas fathers day sale catalog in mail. They have a 12v, 5 watt one for sale now at $30, 50% off!

18"x14"... Brand is Sunforce
Thanks!! I ordered it Saturday!
StevenMiles
Species: Species

Post by StevenMiles »

Off season wrote:I have a cabelas 1.8 amp solar panel maintainer, sits by windshield. I also put a power pulse on my batteries, this seems to help also. My Nissan kicker doesn't charge batteries so when im done trolling I try to run big engine a little while to charge back up. The maintainer does seem to help. Paul "OFF SEASON"
It is effective for sure but only in summer season..It do use solar charger as portable charging device while camping:)
Last edited by StevenMiles on Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuckhunts87
Species: salmon, lakers, bass, pike

Post by tuckhunts87 »

StevenMiles wrote:
Off season wrote:I have a cabelas 1.8 amp solar maintainer, sits by windshield. I also put a power pulse on my batteries, this seems to help also. My Nissan kicker doesn't charge batteries so when im done trolling I try to run big engine a little while to charge back up. The maintainer does seem to help. Paul "OFF SEASON"
It is effective for sure but only in summer season..It do use solar charger as portable charging device while camping:)
why would it only work in the summer? if the sun is shining wouldnt it charge it?
JTM203SOUTH
Species: SALMON

Post by JTM203SOUTH »

I've had good luck with a Ganz brand solar panel. I have one mounted on a Sylvan Cuddy that I moor at Ontario. The panel is 12 watt and keeps the battery charged and runs the bilge pumps while I'm away. You would need to calculate how much juice all of your accessories take and , for a moving boat , probably double it. Ganz has some easy to follow formulas to follow for determining the proper panel. Although Ganz says you can step on their panels, it would be best to put it in a low traffic spot - maybe up towards the bow . Their website is http://www.cbcamerica.com/. Good Luck. Jack
1999 Starcraft Superfisherman 196 "High Hopes "
1996 Starcraft Superfisherman 170 " High Hopes Too"