whats the best time of year to go to ontario?

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
tuckhunts87
Species: salmon, lakers, bass, pike

whats the best time of year to go to ontario?

Post by tuckhunts87 »

i wanna plan a trip to ontario this year but need some info on when and where to go...
digitroll (ron)

Re: whats the best time of year to go to ontario?

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Last year any time was the best time to go to Lake Ontario. June is the only slow month when the water is in transition, but last year it was good every month including June. Everyone has there favorite time to go over and more of that has to do with ones schedule. We used to go over 3 times a year in the 80's during the 3 Eslo derbies. late April / July / late August. I like Oswego in late August with deep water close to the breakwall about 1 mile out from the launch. Spring we have been going to the Niagara Bar for the last 8 years. Awesome fishing. I would recommend buying a LOC derby ticket if your fishing over there. One year (2000) we placed 2nd in the Fall derby with a 19 lb 32" female brown. You never know if your fishing during the derby over there. Fishing during a derby helps eliminate a lot of unproductive water as others are looking and searching. Saves a lot fuel and time looking for active fish if your a first timer or have been visiting every year for 30 years like ourselves. Especially during a Spring or Fall derby and generally these times are the peak fishing times to visit. Good luck. R
tuckhunts87

Post by tuckhunts87 »

thanks ron! i think i'm gonna try to go this spring! i cant be going out a mile from shore in my boat tho so i gotta go when the fish are closer to shore
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Post by Dirtyhooker »

We like Mexico Bay in the spring. With a smaller boat if the Lake is to big you can still fish Oswego Harbor. More than once we have trolled around and around the Harbor catching a mix of browns and lakers while waiting for the Lake to lay down.If the wind forcast is good Mexico is 20 min truck ride. Lodging is available for around 30/night /man at most of the bunkhouses for the Salmon and Steelheaders around Pulaski.
Scott
So many Lures So little Time
Shaye D Winds

Post by Shaye D Winds »

tuckhunts87 wrote:thanks ron! i think i'm gonna try to go this spring! i cant be going out a mile from shore in my boat tho so i gotta go when the fish are closer to shore

We go the week of Labor day in the fall and in most cases we are fishing in 60-70 feet of water. That is less than a mile from shore.

Don
jusfishin
Species: Salmon

Post by jusfishin »

As the crew points out, if it fishes like it did last year, I don't think it matters when you go.......If you are partial to the spring, we fish out of Fair Haven as Shake n Bake does, .....great facility, good launch, never had an issue with others, etc...with a small boat you can tuck(no pun intended) thru the chute and be into descent fishing in 5 minutes or less from the launch, and close to safety if Lake O decides to turn nasty..., and same deal as Mexico, you can be to Oswego from Fair Haven in 20 minutes and fish behind the wall if it's to nasty...We always go Tax break week.....and it has always been good to us.....the last 2 years have been crazy fishing, bring a few king rigs, last year they were there in numbers early......Good luck.......
SoggyBottomBoy
Species: salmon, stripers

Post by SoggyBottomBoy »

Tuck, Lady O can be one of the kindest bodies of water you will ever fish. That is, if you can catch the 1 day a year the wind doesn't blow. I'm not sure how big your boat is but if you've never been out there before maybe you should take your first trip with someone that has experience with the lake and a boat large enough to handle her if she gets pissy.. which is almost every day. I know guys that have hade the 5 hour trip to Oswego or the 8+ hour drive to the bar just to sit there and watch the waves come over the breakwall. I'm not trying to deter you from your trip, just warn you that she is a great lake for a reason. Fishing in 3 to 4 foot waves is very common, and when you are 6 miles out, if she gets rough, that's a long ass haul to get back to the dock. There are a few of us on this site that fish her regularly and even a few charter captains too. I'm sure that everyone will agree that safety has to be your #1 concern out there. If you are not properly equipped to handle situations that arise, trouble is looming just around the corner. Again, my intent is not to deter you but to warn you for the safety of other fisherman is a concern to me.
tuckhunts87

Post by tuckhunts87 »

thanks guys... i actually got someone thats takin me out the first weekend in may so i'll be all set!!! super excited!!!!
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

tuck,,,you will fall in love!
luntfrnd
Species: silver and gold

Post by luntfrnd »

SoggyBottomBoy wrote:Tuck, Lady O can be one of the kindest bodies of water you will ever fish. That is, if you can catch the 1 day a year the wind doesn't blow. I'm not sure how big your boat is but if you've never been out there before maybe you should take your first trip with someone that has experience with the lake and a boat large enough to handle her if she gets pissy.. which is almost every day. I know guys that have hade the 5 hour trip to Oswego or the 8+ hour drive to the bar just to sit there and watch the waves come over the breakwall. I'm not trying to deter you from your trip, just warn you that she is a great lake for a reason. Fishing in 3 to 4 foot waves is very common, and when you are 6 miles out, if she gets rough, that's a long ass haul to get back to the dock. There are a few of us on this site that fish her regularly and even a few charter captains too. I'm sure that everyone will agree that safety has to be your #1 concern out there. If you are not properly equipped to handle situations that arise, trouble is looming just around the corner. Again, my intent is not to deter you but to warn you for the safety of other fisherman is a concern to me.
I thought you were talking about the Bering Sea for a minute there, just joking!! :o Tuck - have an awesome trip if you head over this spring for some skinny water action. If the lake stays low Stony is a good launch if you have a smaller rig and it puts you close to good fishing. In the event any weather comes up you're not too far from your launch either.
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

Lake O is a great fishery but it can also be a treacherous lake for a small boat too. If my info and memory is correct, my son did 8 body recoveries this past year. I know that at least four of them was less than a 1/2 mile from shore. Many of them were fishermen not familar with the lake and on their first trip out. It is best to fish the lake with others that have some experience and a vessel capable to handle conditions that can come up quickly.
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
Flashpoint
Species: trout/salmon/stripers

Post by Flashpoint »

What can I say about Lady O! An absolutely incredible fishery that can't be matched in the Northeast! Nothing better...as long as you respect her! I have been going out for close to 10 years ..& I have seen everything from tabletop flat calm to 10 footers! I always keep an eye on the weather and have a smart phone with active radar that I watch by the min some days!
No doubt I still learn every time I go out & wish I was out there every day! The best way is to tag along with some body your first time ( or book a charter :P ) and get a feel for water depth..currents, land marks etc.
No doubt I would encourage any body to give the Big O a shot...keep safety in mind & have a blast!!