A needle In a hay stack

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

A needle In a hay stack

Post by Crazy Ivan »

After weeks of debating as to whether I should re power the Crazy Ivan or just start over with a new boat I decided to just start over.
Now I had a long list of priorities that seemed to make the search more difficult than it should have been, some very important some not so important, this was my non-negotiable list
1) A boat I could fish alone in with ease
2) A boat I could launch by myself and get into when the docks are out
3) A good enclosure for frostbite fishing
4) Between 18 and 21 ft
5) A good fishing deck with high gunnel's
6) Something with enough nuts to push 3 big guys down the lake with ease
Have you ever bought a boat in this area in November? Just because it is listed for sale does not mean that the owner is going to open it up and let you take it out on the water without ME the buyer paying to have it re-winterized…. But everything happens for a reason, and I thank all of those people now who just weeks ago I was speaking not so nicely about.
A big thanks goes out to My Wife Molly, Pat Church, Bill Lowell, Ron Winter, Rob Thorne, Jeremy Lucia, my dad Millard and Vermont Home and Marine Who all helped in one way or another in this long decision making process.
A needle in a hay stack is what I determined this search to be turning into and I had come to terms with the idea that I may be off the water for quite a while. I spent countless hours online looking at different boat company’s….who knew there were so many. My dad who is in Florida was on the hunt down there, he laughed when I said he should start looking for us down there, apparently there is a boat for sale in every other yard and a marina on every corner.
My search leads me to a Small town in Maine Called St Gardiner, where I meet Art and Cathy Warren who have a rare gem that is seldom found on the east coast a 2005 19ft C-Dory Angler for sale, Art had retired a few years back bought this boat as his retirement toy, he was only able to use it a few seasons and it had not been in the water or out of storage for over 3 years due to illness and had now come to terms with letting the right people buy it. I never thought I would be the one who was interviewed poked and prodded to make sure I was worthy of his beloved C-Dory. Good thing I brought some hats, Lures and plenty of fish tails for him.
After my interview I was allowed to take it to the local marina and have it gone over by the tech and do a water test. Oh boy……. Not a doubt in my mind, this had to come home with me! I am very much a softy, so the thought of haggling price with someone in a wheelchair that was still as sharp as a tack was not something I was looking forward to…. Thus being why I brought my loving wife Molly with me. After returning the boat to the Warrens house we put our game faces on and went inside. Apparently It was decided by the warrens while were out testing it that the boat would go home with us. A quick deal was decided and after we declined to stay the night at their home we were ready to be on the way.
I just want to say that this man is like all of us die hard fishermen, and the thought of taking this boat (his baby) from him was very emotional for everyone present, only with the thought that he would never use it again and I was going to treat it like the beauty that she is was it OK for us to say our heart felt goodbyes to the Warrens and head down the road.
So without Further adue......... The new crazy Ivan
PAt my Two boys and I spend yesterday putting some gear on..... Got a ways to go, lots of new toys to order and install. The x4, fish finder, radio, GPS, duel battery and two rigger went on yesterday, Friday will be duel battery switch, troll king and a water test on lake Champlain..... Rods included. Two New Scotty's and a trac system to follow........
FISH ON!
Todd
digitroll (ron)

Re: A needle In a hay stack

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Todd,

Can you buy me a lottery ticket? That's the kind of luck I would need after seeing you find the boat of a life time in about 10 days in late November and secure a lake test and the necessary communication from 5 hours away to make it happen.

Something I learned in sales. Always, always get the wife to buy into it in person. That is 90% of a sales success the wife needs to be there and be part of the decision process. :)

Well done my friend!

Good luck tomorrow with your shakedown.
Sea Hare
Species: all species

Post by Sea Hare »

Wow ! Great Looking boat. What size engine did you end up with ? Pat was telling me about it the other day and now the photos make it clear why you chose this one. Best of luck with it and hope to see it on the water next spring.

:D ( Jon ) BB
It's not just a unit of measure !
vtperchman
Species: all

Post by vtperchman »

nice boat good luck with it
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Congratulations on your new acquisition Todd.
This boat is a real beauty. You found a nice gem.

Wishing you a lot of exciting and fructose years on your new vessel.

Gecha
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

Congrats Todd on the new boat. It will serve you very well for many years and it is one of the perfect choices for the pond. When I was searching to find my retirement boat I was torn between a C-Dory, Eastern and the Arima. After months of searching I ended up with my beloved Arima Sea Ranger. You did very well in your search and final decision. What a great find for sure.

I am looking forward to seeing you and your new boat out on Champlain fully rigged and fishing. Hey don't forget to transfer those fish attractors to the bottom of the new hull.
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
4cs
Species: Salmon, Trout

Post by 4cs »

All I can say is "SWEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT", this boat is in showroom condition just amazing how he kept it up and thanks for letting me help rig her up with you.

Congrats Buddy
Crazy Ivan Lures

http://www.crazyivanlures.com/

Eat, Sleep, Fish and then a Crown Royal
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

WOW! What a beauty! Congrats Todd!
MarknFish (Mark)

Post by MarknFish (Mark) »

Can't wait to see some reports from the new ride. Congrats and see you out there soon!
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Awesome looking rig!
See you on the pond!
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Post by Ludo »

Very nice, I love it :-)
Fishdawg
Species: Salmon

Post by Fishdawg »

Sweet looking boat! A Frostbiter's dream. Thanks for sharing your excursion as it is amazing that you found such a boat so quickly! Looks like the fish gods are with you.
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Post by dreamcatcher »

Hot damn! You're going to love fishing now!! :o Very nice.
KEN K.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Todd, congrats on a superb new ride!!
Heijac

Post by Heijac »

Congrats buddy! Cant wait to see her out there!