ice fishing question

Share info on fishing Champlain.
blue lund
Species: salmon trout walleye

ice fishing question

Post by blue lund »

Yep...I know it is still early for ice fishing but trying to plan a trip for me and my 10 year old daughter this winter. Each year we do a father/daughter weekend somewhere away from home. Last year we spent a couple days on Raquette lake and had a blast on small lake trout but she has decided this year she wants larger fish.

During a traditional cooler winter does the ice from east of Long point into farm town bay form and is it something that would be fish-able and safe? We have rented a camp on the small island east of Gardiner Island a couple different years and are always able to find decent pike and perch fishing there in the summer. I guess a question of accessibility even comes to play. I could access from where we parked for the camp if the ice was safe enough to ride an atv to the bay.

If not there could any one offer up suggestion in the same general area where we could spend 2 days having fun, catching a few fish and making memories.

thanks.....

Dwayne
homewrecker
Species: salmon,mermaids

Re: ice fishing question

Post by homewrecker »

better head north there are some great spots where cabins are available and ice is much safer. Birdland, Holiday Harbor and more and I think there are some spots where they rent shanties with heat and everything you need. post on hard water fishing.
blue lund

Post by blue lund »

Thanks Homewrecker. I went to their site. It would only be about an hour further a ride from my house in NY but I think it has some good potential.

Much appreciated....

Dwayne
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

ice on town farm bay can be treacherous at times,I would recommend somewhere else,especially with a youngster.Check out the hard water section on this forum later on for updates.
also the Connecticut River has lots of safe ice and may be closer to home for you.there are ice forums out there that often mention the conn. river.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board
fishercat
Species: panfish... Well most anything

Post by fishercat »

I'm with homewrecker ! Holiday Harbor would be perfect ! Bruce and his wife are nice folks and run a clean place. You can even get a package deal that includes accommodations and a heated shanty ! There's perch, crappie, sunfish, big pike, bass and the occasional walleye... They're located in North Hero right on Lake Champlain on Rt.2 and very close to other fishing hot spots on the lake. I think you and your girl would have a blast ! :D
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

fishercat wrote:I'm with homewrecker ! Holiday Harbor would be perfect ! Bruce and his wife are nice folks and run a clean place. You can even get a package deal that includes accommodations and a heated shanty ! There's perch, crappie, sunfish, big pike, bass and the occasional walleye... They're located in North Hero right on Lake Champlain on Rt.2 and very close to other fishing hot spots on the lake. I think you and your girl would have a blast ! :D
Fishercat...you make that sound so super cool I might just have to grab my "girl" and spend a week-end there myself!
A weekend get away on the ice with the wife.
Thanks.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
blue lund

Post by blue lund »

fishercat wrote:I'm with homewrecker ! Holiday Harbor would be perfect ! Bruce and his wife are nice folks and run a clean place. You can even get a package deal that includes accommodations and a heated shanty ! There's perch, crappie, sunfish, big pike, bass and the occasional walleye... They're located in North Hero right on Lake Champlain on Rt.2 and very close to other fishing hot spots on the lake. I think you and your girl would have a blast ! :D
Already booked. It sounded like a perfect place to take her. Thank you everyone for the responses.