2012? Perhaps the best season on Lake Ontario ever?

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
digitroll (ron)

2012? Perhaps the best season on Lake Ontario ever?

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Here is a quote I cut and pasted from one of the best Capt. Vince of Thrillseeker charters posted September 17th on Lake Ontario United:

We are not done yet, but I have fished this lake since the late 70's, and I'm fairly certain this one tops them all.

Another posters summary:

* Lake Ontario is nothing short of amazing and we're very blessed to have a place like this.

* The Niagara bar is an outstanding place to fish most of the year and you can always seem to find fish around there when they aren't hitting elsewhere.

Thrillseekers boat:

digitroll (ron)

Re: 2012? Perhaps the best season on Lake Ontario ever?

7 months to go till the May 2013 LOC derby at the Bar.

Captains typically target Browns offshore in June due to the fact that Kings are scarce during the June water transition.

Capt. Ernie quote about June 2012:

"Fish Doctor's June 2012 King fishing was an all-time record"

lazycs

Post by lazycs »

It has been a banner year on the big pond Ron, and its continues in the big river as well. word is the run has never been this good for numbers of fish moving up river, hard to believe as i can remember just before the hatchery was built the bottom of the river appeared to be moving upstream there where so many fish...
Flashpoint
Species: trout/salmon/stripers

Post by Flashpoint »

I haven't been on Lake O nearly as long as some the full time captains....but I have to say I had an absolutely stellar season out there! So many limit trips that I lost count! Some awesome fish as well including a 20lb laker & a 31.6 ln Coho Hybrid!! Just a crazy fishery! Can't wait to get back out there!
Shaye D Winds

Post by Shaye D Winds »

We too had a great week there this year. At lest on the days we got out before the weather moved in. It truly is a great fishery.
Don
champlain fisher
Species: salmonoids

Post by champlain fisher »

Had a great 3 day trip over in early Sept. One of my best trips ever as well, boated 9 kings and 2 cohos. Had another 6-7 fish on and some empty releases as well. Biggest fish was about 27lbs. All on spin doctors green/white with a live lime hammer fly and green/chrome with a sweet pea fly.
Salmon, the other pink meat.
digitroll (ron)

More empirical evidence as Fish Doctor just pulled his boat out a few days ago and posted this 2012 season summary:

We just pulled our 28’ charter boat, the “Fish Doctor” out of the water a few days ago, so this is officially the end of the 2012 Lake Ontario fishing season for us. And, what a season it was!

Never since, 1977, in the 35 years Fish Doctor Charters has fished Lake Ontario, have our anglers enjoyed better trout and salmon fishing. Fishing for king salmon, brown trout, and steelhead, from early April thru late September was as good as we’ve ever seen.