First trip out of Oswego for 2012

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
Flashpoint
Species: trout/salmon/stripers

First trip out of Oswego for 2012

Post by Flashpoint »

Got the boat over to Oswego about mid afternoon on Wednesday, met my crew and headed out about 3:30 for an evening trip. Get past the light house to be met with 1&1/2 to 2ft seas & not another boat around....ahhh choices on where to go! A little tip told me they had been doing some fish west of the Harbor so we went out to the 120 line and set up on a southwesterly troll. about an hour we had slid out to the 130 line and mark an area with pretty good bait on the chart so we decide to loop back around...start out turn & the Starboard side dipsie takes off! White dot spin doctor & a nice 15 pounder hits the deck. Try to get set back up & we get our first big rats nest of the year! (newbies and fishing with out a mait can be a challenge in keeping the boat straight!) Make a loop and we get another dipsie to fire....drop this one half way to the boat...third dipsie fire & we try and set the hook (no no on dipsie!) so we loose another. Finally get a fire on the rigger down 90 with a UV Stinger green Gator...this end up being a 25lbr in the box! we drop a couple more right before dark & end up the night 2 for 6...but hey we are learning!
Here is the 25 from wed evening.

Head back out at 6:00 am Thursday morning all the radio chatter is all the big dogs are heading out to 500 fow as reports have kings mixed with Steelies. Well a run out to that water in the same seas as the night before means a pretty long ride for a crew of five in my boat, so we decide to repeat last nights plan...the fish gods shine down as the bait was still there & first pass finds KINGS as well! We worked the area over going 3 for 5 by 10:30 with two Kings over 20 & a dink Laker. We ended up having to to take a break for a bit as DEC decided to pay us a visit (we are the ONLY boat working this water :evil: ) & come aboard for a bit. All was good but we drifted out to 200 during this time period, so we get back on them in time to put one more in before the bite stopped.

A nice day as the water laid down later on & we ended up 4 for 8 & off the water by 2:00. Not bad with a new crew onboard! Temp was down 70 ft...dipsie out 240 to 300 were the ticket! Back out next weekend!

bumpnrun
Species: salmon

Re: First trip out of Oswego for 2012

Post by bumpnrun »

Nice post thanks,its nice to now whats going on there,because am going over there around labor day.I cant wait to get to Oswego allways dreamt of going over with my own boat it will be my first time.My best friends Steve Borgeois,and Scott Moody, say hi,Ive been getting Scott out in my boat and Steve has his his own boat we all like to fish .Its nice to have some good memories,way to go.BUMP. :) :)
Roger Lav