hot day/hot fishing

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
lazycs

hot day/hot fishing

Post by lazycs »

Took a short trip to the big O to get in on some of the great fishing that the big pond has been giving up all season long this year, with limit catches of salmon, browns and steelhead in the mix happening almost daily we headed out thursday afternoon to fish friday with captain Mike aboard the 41ft. trojan with a 14ft. beam, fish catching machine.

getting on the water at 10:30 friday morning and the temp already nearing 90 we started setting up in 60fow just east of the wall in Oswego it didn't take but minutes for the action to start with a nice 14lb brown trout. the browns just kept coming for the next 4 hours. a spoon program of 4 riggers with cheaters and 2 -10 color lead cores out each side on the triple board ski's was the ticket. catching browns was fun but after some debate we decided it was time to go after what we went out there for, some king action. ( the king bite had slowed way down in the last couple days.) it took 15 minutes to run out to 550fow and start looking for pods of bait, within a half mile we came across what captain Mike was looking for. Under his instruction we started deploying the program of 4 riggers armed with spoons and flashers and flies parked between 70 and 90 ft. down, a wire rod out each side at 270 and 290 out, then a 300ft.-400ft. and 550ft. coppers with flasher, flies and flasher and cut bait out each side on the triple boards. first pass we double up on kings, now thats more like it, with little time between bites we kept reeling them in well after sunset arriving back at dock after 10pm.
we have to say thanks to capt. Mike for letting us take over his boat for the day. ;) :D

So to anyone thinking about a trip west, this is the year to do it, many vet are saying its never been this good.

some pics
brown with nasty wound..

couple of kings

working the back of the boat

back at port around 10:30

the fish box

what we kept

to all who go out good luck,
mike
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: hot day/hot fishing

Post by raz »

What a great catch Mike. That brown looks like it was shot with hand gun...what the heck?
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
lazycs

Post by lazycs »

Raz wrote:What a great catch Mike. That brown looks like it was shot with hand gun...what the heck?

not a bullet wound Gerry, just one of those nasty snakes, looked like that brown had a rough life, old scars and another fresh wound on the other side...
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Great pics! Looks like the trip was well worth it! Noticed an awful lot of green on that boat? Could it be his favorite color? / Jim
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

That boat is a floating classroom and tackle store all in one! Great trip Mike and crew!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I love the pic of the flys and skirts all over the boat... Thanks for the report Mike!
Matt B
lazycs

Post by lazycs »

tamiron wrote:Great pics! Looks like the trip was well worth it! Noticed an awful lot of green on that boat? Could it be his favorite color? / Jim
Jim,i would say your right on, green is the number one color for kings most days for those who make a living on the water over there. heres a couple more pics of the green inventory.
Ron, classroom and tackle shop all in one, friggen amazing...

Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Never seen something like this!!

Thanks Mike for sharing!
jusfishin
Species: Salmon

Post by jusfishin »

Your not kidding Mike.......that boat is a floating tackle shop.......awesome trip......not a bad run over......we are heading late...Sept 2nd to 8th due to work scheduling.....hope it's not over...it has been a year to remember over there, that is for sure.......nice job by you and the crew as usual....
bumpnrun
Species: salmon

Post by bumpnrun »

Wow mike now thats a boat am going to get a tool box for lures so i can lock them up.Just looken at his stuff gives me idea about how i can fix my boat up to fish and get around in it .The tackle is what you told me to by,GREEN AND MORE GREEN,cant wait to go over and fish .The fish look huge am going to get a bigger cooler lols.BUMP. :D
Roger Lav
Dukdog
Species: Salmon

Post by Dukdog »

You guys had a nice trip!

I fished out of Sodus and Mexico Bay on Tues, Weds,and thurs in my 18 foot lund. It was damn rough out there with waves from 2 to 5 feet. Thurs evening we got a couple fish but that was it. I still feel like a marble in a paint can 2 days later!!
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Mike:

That's the most impressive display that I think I have ever seen on a charter boat.

He doesn't have nearly as many as I do on my basement walls, but he is getting there!

Something to be said for a man who focuses on one type of spoon with variation on the same theme i.e. make,color & size.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen