Re: frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/29/2016

Post by jimbow »

Hairbone wrote:Matt takes the honor of fisherman of the year ! Great read

I second that motion....Here Here
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Well ... It's always somewhat of a gamble to introduce a new product. But Fishy1 is making this look pretty easy. I really believe this casting series will certainly earn a permanent and prominent spot in our lure lineup! Again Fishy1, thank you for all your help and dedication to sharing your results with the forum.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

12/3/2016 woke up this morning stuffy and not up to par but decided to head to the lake to join wayne and jeremy for some more laker fishing. got there just before wayne and started casting a trout pattern honeybee casting lure . just before wayne arrived approx 10 minutes i had an awsome hit but a miss. wayne and jeremy started casting to my far right. the next half hour was slow with no hits then i got another hit and a miss. told wayne i was a little under the weather so sat in the car for about 1/2 hour with the heater on. as i was sitting there i saw jeremys rod jerk forward and fish on i grabbed the net and went down and netted it as wayne was at least 40 yards from him. jeremy lands a nice 25 inch male laker in the cooler it goes as his family loves fish. went back casting for awhile but i didnt really have much interest since i seemed to be getting some chills so i headed back to the car. had part of a sub and was watching wayne and jeremy casting. sometime around 8:45 am wayne has a good hit and fish on. after a brief struggle jeremy nets it.. i go back down and cast again and wasnt long a had a good hit that took my line and lure sideways but ended up a miss. told wayne i was going to go home and hopefully my head and nose will clear. asked wayne to call me later with the results. wayne called much later and said they didnt land anymore but he had a such a hit and fish on that if he was any closer to the water it would have pulled him in. he casted out and before he started his retreive his rod doubled over and jolted his whole body forward. the fish then dove straight to the bottom with his drag just burning. once to the bottom he could not move that fish upwards it wayne said it just kept head shaking and shook loose. wayne was really shook up when he called. he asked me what i thought it was . i said lake champlain could have been anything but sounds like a beast of a lakers since it went to the bottom and did some head shaking. most fish will make runs one way or the other but lakers especially big lakers like to hug the bottom and head shake. hopefully 1 of us gets another chance at it. wayne was using a perch colored krocodile.
here is waynes laker
Imagescreenshot program
honeybee i had on

Imagephoto upload
Z.G
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Z.G »

Nice work!! I took a fellow fly fisher out today, he got his first laker on the fly. I caught 7 myself from 12.30-4. Productive day! Wind was not conducive to fly fishing, but we made it work.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

The fish you kept. Do you no what was in there stomachs? Take care fishy and i hope you feel better tomorrow.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:The fish you kept. Do you no what was in there stomachs? Take care fishy and i hope you feel better tomorrow.
i have only kept 1 fish and it was empty. ill ask wayne this morning.
Z.G

Post by Z.G »

Certainly the best weekend of the year thus far for lakers. 27 total all on the fly. Had to keep 2 because they were hooked too deep and weren't going to make it. In a rare turn of events, we saw the backing on 3 fish, which I hadn't seen yet with a laker.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Z.G wrote:Certainly the best weekend of the year thus far for lakers. 27 total all on the fly. Had to keep 2 because they were hooked too deep and weren't going to make it. In a rare turn of events, we saw the backing on 3 fish, which I hadn't seen yet with a laker.
nice good job any pics of the backing on the lakers? any big lakers?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/4/2016 headed for laker heavan this morning with a freinds son riley hoping to get him into some lakers. wasnt going to happen today though. we had plenty of company wayne , his son, his grandson, and eric came down to join us. then i even got a bigger surprise shortly after out from the vermont side comes towards us in his boat registered kayak (mark) and sets up out a ways in front of us. it was fun watching him out there troliing and spearing those lampreys under the stern. heard from him awhile ago and said he didnt have any luck . but he did get to see a big salmon on the surface with his fin out of the water like a shark. i told him he should have come in but he didnt want to spook the fish. started out with freezing guides and knots in lines but got better later. for the day i had 6 hits lost 1 riley 4 hits all misses wayne had the only other hit and a taker a small 18 inch laker. 3 fisherman from montreal got here about 11 am when we were about to leave and one of them (didier) landed a nice laker soon after he started casting. wayne and i know them from river fishing and they are catch and release fisherman. riley and i spent alot of time in the car unthawing rods and his hands. he is going to be a good fisherman because he is determined. :)
Z.G

Post by Z.G »

I guess that could be confusing the way I said it haha. We had 3 lakers that pulled so much line that we saw the fly line backing, which I rarely ever see when catching one. Here's 9 of the fish we landed, the biggest(31.5) wasn't on my phone, so couldn't add. Image
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Z.G wrote:I guess that could be confusing the way I said it haha. We had 3 lakers that pulled so much line that we saw the fly line backing, which I rarely ever see when catching one. Here's 9 of the fish we landed, the biggest(31.5) wasn't on my phone, so couldn't add. Image
thanks a bunch for the pics. looked like nice clean lakers to and they looked like they were all spawned out.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Its nice to see you helping and teaching the younger generation with your skills
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Z.G nice pics and a very impressive weekend of lakers thanks for your post.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Z.G, :
Great job! Some real pretty fish! I'll bet they are a hoot on a Fly rod. Thanks for sharing.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:The fish you kept. Do you no what was in there stomachs? Take care fishy and i hope you feel better tomorrow.
wayne kept 2 lakers and both stomachs were empty.