frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
flyfish1
Species: Fish on the Fly

Re: frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/29/2016

Post by flyfish1 »

super catch. a monster.
Any possibility on getting an image of the fly and also what type of fly line were you using ?
Maybe intermediate to get the line to sink a bit ?
thanks
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Great Fish! Nice job!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Z.G
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Z.G »

I don't have the exact fly pictured, but this is pretty close. Sinking line, 250g, still want the lead eyes on the fly though.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

11/29/2016 i was heading deer hunting this morning but the rain changed my mind and took another road to try for lakers. a light drizzle and a 8 mph south wind when i got to the lake greeted me. took out a casting honey bee to try it against the wind and it did its job. wow cant cast as far as a 3/8 ounce kastmaster or krocodile but enough to cast with on shore. i was surprised because i was throwing right into the wind. jim you did a good job with this casting lure. with lighter line i beleive i can get it out to 3/8 ounce lures casting distance. i use trilene 12 lb big game and lure has good casting distance. anyhow about my 8 or 9 th cast i had a follow and it crushed the bee about 10 feet from me busting water and shook loose but what happened next shocked me. the laker went down rolling over and then came back up rolling over many times and would bust water. it did this for about 5 or 6 minutes i felt helpless as i couldnt figure out what was happening. i casted my lure at it several times to try and get it to move and swim normally but it wouldnt. finally after a long wait for it to revive it did and went away busting water at a good speed. i have never seen this before on shore i have seen it alot after a long fight trolling in a boat. somehow i had to stun that laker to do that. it was a clean laker about 30 inches long. left shortly after that as the rain began falling heavy.
here is the honeybee i was using.
Imageupload pic
Last edited by fishy1 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Fishy1:

Thank for sharing!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Wow! Nice report, Fishy1!

I walked to my shore spot today, very late as I had a difficult night. I regretted not getting there at dawn because it was a perfect calm day. A salmon jumped just as I arrived, but farther out than I can throw a Kastmaster. The rocks were wet and slippery.

Fishing for a while with no bites, I lost a 1/4 oz green and silver Kastmaster on the bottom-- usually I can get them loose there because the zebra mussels break, off but not this time. I tied on a 3/8 oz silver Kastmaster and hooked up within a few casts! It was a big fish, heavy as a rock, and it started peeling drag slowly like it wasn't even trying. A couple big head shakes, and it came loose. Oh well. I'm fishing 6lb test, and I don't really know how to handle a fish like that. I keep fishing for a while with no action.

Just as I'm packing up to leave, several fish break the surface at once. One is a big salmon that jumped 3 feet out of the water, shaking in the air. I wondered if it was trying to shake off the lamprey that was clearly visible. Also, it was just within casting range! Well I couldn't leave, but all I got out of it was another fishless hour.

It motivated me to try plan B tomorrow...
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:Wow! Nice report, Fishy1!

I walked to my shore spot today, very late as I had a difficult night. I regretted not getting there at dawn because it was a perfect calm day. A salmon jumped just as I arrived, but farther out than I can throw a Kastmaster. The rocks were wet and slippery.

Fishing for a while with no bites, I lost a 1/4 oz green and silver Kastmaster on the bottom-- usually I can get them loose there because the zebra mussels break, off but not this time. I tied on a 3/8 oz silver Kastmaster and hooked up within a few casts! It was a big fish, heavy as a rock, and it started peeling drag slowly like it wasn't even trying. A couple big head shakes, and it came loose. Oh well. I'm fishing 6lb test, and I don't really know how to handle a fish like that. I keep fishing for a while with no action.

Just as I'm packing up to leave, several fish break the surface at once. One is a big salmon that jumped 3 feet out of the water, shaking in the air. I wondered if it was trying to shake off the lamprey that was clearly visible. Also, it was just within casting range! Well I couldn't leave, but all I got out of it was another fishless hour.

It motivated me to try plan B tomorrow...
good post . sounds like you have fish there just getting them to be aggressive is the next thing. those head shakes will loosen the hooks up if there it the bottom jaw where there is no meat.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/2/2016 was supposed to go deer hunting but changed my mine and im glad i did. got to a laker spot at daylight . set my rod up with a brand new honeybee fishy1 casting lure. i trialed these new bees for tamiron (jim) and they did there job last fall and in the spring for salmon. i had a light south wind with 2 foot waves and decided to cast with the wind. it was about 6:50 am when i made my ist cast . 3rd cast a hit and fish on i land a small but nice laker. 9 th cast a hit fish on i land another laker maybe 23 inches. i am solo so its tough getting pictures quickly and releasing them. stopped counting after that but it wasnt long after a freight train hit and fish on and a good one. it went left right out in you name it with the drag just zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing after about 5 minutes or so got it near shore and it made 5 runs back out then shook loose. a wild ride with that laker estimated it at about 35 inches or so. a little while later after taking a break during a little rain storm another freight train hit and fish on and another fighter this one hit closer to shore and didnt want no part of the shore line. got it within 6 feet of me at least 10 times and he would just turn around and bust water for the broad lake. finally landed it a nice fat 33 inch laker. took a quick pic with the fishy1 lure on it and released it. took another break and came back and started casting and ist cast a hit fish on i land another laker at least 24 inches. took another break as eric came down to tell me he had 4 follow his lure in thursday morning but no hits all 4 were right behind his lure. went back fishing and it wasnt long another freight train hit and fish on got it close to me 4 times but couldnt handle it since i didnt have a net. it shook loose after a while. things slowed at least not like the ist hour. wasnt long though another freight train hit and fish on and another battle. wow it was just zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing my drag about 50 feet out finally got it close and it had a lamprey on it so i hurried to get it and threw it up on the rocks but the lamprey got back in the water just before. that stinks. the laker was 30 inches so i kept it for fmb tackle my bait guy. i had landed 5 lakers and lost 2 before 9 am. i then took several long breaks during the rain showers but still landed 2 more lakers before i left at 11 am to do some deer hunting. had a great morning landing 7 lakers and losing 2 close to shore. the fishy1 honeybee was the lure today i had 9 hits and hooked all 9 fish with that single hook. 8-) i tested these new honeybees for jim and they sure are doing there job. fish didnt bust water today but did see one big silver leap at least 2 feet up and down out of casting distance. the honeybee today i was reaching 3/8 ounce distance easily. i cant wait to see these casting honey bees trolling and what they will accomplish.
here is a pic of the ist laker landed this morningImageimage upload no limit
33 inch laker

Image20mb image hosting

30 inch laker i kept

Imageimage upload no size limit

fishy1 honeybee casting lure

Imagescreenshot windows 7
Last edited by fishy1 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FishnChef
Species: Salmon

Post by FishnChef »

Sounds like youve got yourself quite the productive spot. Congrats on a stellar morning. Always enjoy reading your posts
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

You do live up to your screen name FISHY nice post and pics this is our last week of deer hunting then its back to Grand Isle to get the boat out and try some frostbite fishing. PS how was the deer hunting.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great report and pics. That Fishy1 lure kept you pretty busy today... I need to put a few in my tackle box.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Great work Matt! :D Nice fish, I'm still deer hunting but if I get a buck soon :roll: I'm be tagging along and we'll gett'er done. ;)
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

Good job Matt! Nice to see you're many hours of grinding those lakers pay off! Like you said, December seems to be more productive. Since I've got a slow week at work I think Ill head down and give it a try once or twice this week. Just gotta get me a couple of Fishy1 spoons.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Windknot wrote:Good job Matt! Nice to see you're many hours of grinding those lakers pay off! Like you said, December seems to be more productive. Since I've got a slow week at work I think Ill head down and give it a try once or twice this week. Just gotta get me a couple of Fishy1 spoons.
thanks let me know when you coming down and if i go up your way ill bring a couple up for you. fmb is right down the road so let me know.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Matt takes the honor of fisherman of the year ! Great read