White perch harvest with a salmon surprise

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
tiny

White perch harvest with a salmon surprise

Post by tiny »

I've had two really fun trips to the cowbanks in the last week and I want all of the white perch out of the lake I will gladly share details. Went there on Sunday the 19th after getting the call from luntfrnd that the bite was on. Fished with my new buddy Nate and we caught just over 140 pounds of nice big white perch, most were in the 9-10" range, with about a dozen over 12". Here's Nate with our perch mountain

My biggest of the day was 12.75" and just under master angler but fat and stuffed with little alewives

The winning setup that day was any vertical jig and really light rods and line. Most of the crowd was pounding the bottom with big perch jigs and not catching much.

Went back yesterday 2/27 and drilled holes for about 30 minutes trying to find the fish, finally got a Christmas tree on the vexilar and set up the shanty. We fished three holes for about 3 hours and pulled in ~75 pounds of white perch that were skinnier and probably averaged 8". We saw a nice cloud of alewives on the vex and started jigging right in the middle of it hoping for something bigger. Kevin got the fish and after about a 10 minute fight on 2lb test he landed a 19" salmon
Here's a video of the fish almost getting off with one last run:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbartlet/6790849948/

And the video of it finally coming through the hole:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbartlet/6936973683/

It was just barely hooked on a gold hali

The second best moment of the afternoon came when both Kevin and I hooked into "big" fish at the same time. We both fought with our drags singing until this guy came up with both of our jigs in his mouth

Action was really steady all afternoon and we always some fish under the shanty. Half of the time there was a solid cloud of perch from 45' to 20'. Caught fish on a bunch of different jigs but the best performers were hali's, kodiak's, and 4mm tungsten horizontal jigs. Best colors both days were blue, silver, glow, and gold. The bites were really light again so I definitely think we caught more fish by using light line and UL rods.

Victory shot
Themug
Species: All Champlain fishes!!

Re: White perch harvest with a salmon surprise

Post by Themug »

AWESOME!! That must have been a blast.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for the post. Great pics an videos. You guys hammered them!
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Post by Del Gue »

Very informative! Thanks, you opened my eyes to a whole new level of fishing. I fished that area for two weeks and caught three whiteys. I was feeling pretty crappie because I couldn't catch a thing (get it...crappie?? :lol: ) but the right equipment makes all the difference. Thanks again!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
tiny

Post by tiny »

Del Gue wrote:Very informative! Thanks, you opened my eyes to a whole new level of fishing. I fished that area for two weeks and caught three whiteys. I was feeling pretty crappie because I couldn't catch a thing (get it...crappie?? :lol: ) but the right equipment makes all the difference. Thanks again!
If you have a flasher it is super useful for finding the school, once you're on the school I was barely checking the vexilar, fish were pretty thick in the bottom 10'. I think the biggest factor is that they were biting very lightly. I only have one ultralight rod and when my buddy was using that I had a ML rod and I was catching less fish until i put on a spring bobber. We were fishing pretty small jigs tipped with only 1 or 2 spikes.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great hard water report.! Nice work Jigging a silver..............
Matt B
lightandvariable
Species: Perch

Post by lightandvariable »

Now that's fun!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

You guys had an awesome day. Very cool.
Your post is great. Very fun to read. You should enter it in the 2012 posts contest! http://www.lakechamplainunited.com/foru ... m.php?f=27

Thanks for the great report!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Post by riverrunner »

Nice Salmo! Def a bonus when jigging perch!
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

Great the super secret white perch spot is on the world wide web! :D Tell everyone catch as many as you can!!!! The less white perch the better!

They are good to eat!
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Awesome Joe, just awesome.
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Hey nice job Joe! :D
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Brian
Species: fin fish

Post by Brian »

NICE report! Thanks for sharing...it was fun to read (see). I like the hali jig too.
Got bass thumb?
barn1
Species: Bass

Post by barn1 »

New to this forum so excuse me if I should know this but...

why do you guys want to eradicate the white perch (which you will never be able to do by the way)?

Barn.
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

barn1 wrote:New to this forum so excuse me if I should know this but...

why do you guys want to eradicate the white perch (which you will never be able to do by the way)?

Barn.
I think it's because they hammer peoples spoons when trolling...must be a bummer if you're reeling in dozens of little white perch while salmon fishing.