Snake Den 7/25

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Snake Den 7/25

Post by Bearcat »

Started out Friday @ 6:30 pm and had two 20" silvers before dark, nice fish but Saturday was a little more interesting. Tons of bait on the screen from 80 to 100', not a bite until 10 am, then picked up one perch, one cookie cutter and one 19" silver. The fourth fish stayed down and pulled hard, turned out to be this pudgy little football, smashed his hitchhiker and sent him back down to 95' (new at this, I hope the pictures show up). Dropped another line in the afternoon after the kids were done swimming and picked up this nasty looking steely around 4pm. Had the ball at 110' with a purple mp6 30' back but he passed that and swallowed the blue/silver speedy shiner I had on a sliding stacker, probably around 75 or 80' down. Fought like crazy, pulled straight down like a tuna. Took a long time to get that treble hook out of his craw but with a little sloshing around he woke up and bee-lined for the bottom. Most of the others hit on a green/purple/white small honeybee (this has been deadly the past few weeks, but always on the cheater).
Attachments
brown2 72515.jpg
brown 72515.jpg
steelhead 72515.jpg
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Snake Den 7/25

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice catches. Looks like these fish give you a lot of action.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Great report! So you have twin Bearcats?! That's super cool!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

That's the hard part if a grand slam in the box. Nice brown and very nice steelie! Thanks for the report..... Maybe not stackin wood sat....
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

thanks bearcat didnt get a chance to catch up with you last weekend. send a pic of your boat if you can. norm told me he saw you up there sunday at least he thought it was you. if you come back up let me know. great pics and looks like you had fun with your family.
CanadianFisherman
Species: Lake Trout, Salmon, Walleye

Post by CanadianFisherman »

Bearcat wrote:Started out Friday @ 6:30 pm and had two 20" silvers before dark, nice fish but Saturday was a little more interesting. Tons of bait on the screen from 80 to 100', not a bite until 10 am, then picked up one perch, one cookie cutter and one 19" silver. The fourth fish stayed down and pulled hard, turned out to be this pudgy little football, smashed his hitchhiker and sent him back down to 95' (new at this, I hope the pictures show up). Dropped another line in the afternoon after the kids were done swimming and picked up this nasty looking steely around 4pm. Had the ball at 110' with a purple mp6 30' back but he passed that and swallowed the blue/silver speedy shiner I had on a sliding stacker, probably around 75 or 80' down. Fought like crazy, pulled straight down like a tuna. Took a long time to get that treble hook out of his craw but with a little sloshing around he woke up and bee-lined for the bottom. Most of the others hit on a green/purple/white small honeybee (this has been deadly the past few weeks, but always on the cheater).
Wow! That's great. Those are exactly the fish I want to be on! Thanks for the great report.. Of my boat gets out of the shop before Sat, I'll definitely head down and give it a try (though I need to leave by early afternoon for a family supper... Ugh... Supper over fishing :( horrible choice to make)... Anyhow, if you ever need/want a partner, let me know! Or if you're up to riding along, when I get my boat back, I would be happy to team up to learn some more skills! Nice going!
CanadianFisherman
Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

Here's the boat. I've had twin Bearcats on my last three boats. They sip fuel and can idle 8 hours straight without a hiccup. Not very fast but the kids can water ski. The boat's another story, ex-fire boat, flipped and wrecked in a storm, stolen and totally stripped. It should have been cut up with a chainsaw and taken to the dump when I found it. Way too much time into it but it's perfect for what we do, and I have no worries taking it 6 or 8 miles into Ontario on a decent day.
Attachments
outrage 21.jpg
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Bearcat wrote: Way too much time into it
Ha, I can relate! There's no way I can budget a new (or even "newer") boat, so I dump many, many hours into my resto project with 80's technology power. The plus side is knowing your rig inside and out!

That's a cool old Whaler.
Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

Thanks, Same deal here, and nothing depreciates faster than a new boat anyway. From 10 yards away the boat looks good enough I guess but I re-gelcoated the entire boat inside and out, and covered up a lot of sins; the fish haven't complained so far.
CanadianFisherman
Species: Lake Trout, Salmon, Walleye

Post by CanadianFisherman »

Lol I have a boat, but nice re-direct. My trolling motor was misfiring and having trouble with its gas... 1000$ later, I should get it back tomorrow... Good as however good they made it (replaced and electrical part and added something for the fuel intake)...
CanadianFisherman
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Bearcat wrote:Here's the boat. I've had twin Bearcats on my last three boats. They sip fuel and can idle 8 hours straight without a hiccup. Not very fast but the kids can water ski. The boat's another story, ex-fire boat, flipped and wrecked in a storm, stolen and totally stripped. It should have been cut up with a chainsaw and taken to the dump when I found it. Way too much time into it but it's perfect for what we do, and I have no worries taking it 6 or 8 miles into Ontario on a decent day.
thanks bearcat a great looking boat and set up. we would have never known if you didnt tell us looks new to us. you did an outstanding job. hope to get a closer look next time your up on the big pond.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Nice catch!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Post by Trackertroller »