2014 Shootout Disapointment

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Thorny

2014 Shootout Disapointment

Post by Thorny »

Hi Guys

Another great Frostbite Salmon Shootout in the books. Thanks Randy! Your leadership in organizing this event over the years is greatly appreciated by everyone who has enjoyed fishing in it. Lots of die hard Frostbiters showed up to do what Frostbite Fishing is all about. There has always been a group of Diehard fishermen that brave the elements in Nov,Dec and January. They accept the challenge of dealing with the Snow,Ice,weather,road conditions,wind, and endless issues with misc equipment that happen when fishing in these situations. I can remember the Admiral telling me years ago that your not a true Frostbite Fleet Member til you have fished from a boat in open water in the Months of Nov,Dec and most importantly January. Needless to say fishing in these conditions can be dangerous. That's why people who fish this time of year always try to maintain radio contact with other guys on the water. If an unpredictable challenge arises on the water it's always nice to know your not alone. Not to mention maybe they will share some good fishing info with you. Randy being on "Old School Frostbite Diehard" accepted the leadership role of organizing the Frostbite Salmon Shootout several years ago to celebrate and share the Tradition of Frostbite Fleet Fishing. No money,no sign up,as few rules as possible. Keep it simple,have fun and celebrate the commeraderie that goes hand in hand the with catching the biggest Salmon that any one can. And of course a very cool rotating trophy to have your name engraved on and be forever remembered as a Frostbite Shootout Winner. Every year the question pops up about weather river fish are eligible to win the Shootout. The answer has always been the lake standard. Up to the the first impassable boundary of tributaries is considered the lake. I always look forward to the most enjoyable part of the Shootout. The celebration of the lucky few who caught noteworthy fish to weigh in. Yesterday was no different. A couple of Frostbite Fleet Veterans(Digitroll and Capt Kirk) caught some very nice fish. Congrats guys on a very nice catch caught in the true tradition of the Frostbite Shootout.
I would also like to congratulate Ben on his Catch. A couple very nice Salmon. Somewhat obvious to most of us there that these fish were caught in a river somewhere. I have no beef with river fishermen. I have enormous respect for river fishermen with the ability to trick a Salmon into biting a bait in the fall. No small challenge. Needless to say I was very disappointed to see the Frostbite Salmon Shootout Trophy go to a fishermen that didn't catch the fish in the spirit of the Frostbite Fleet Tradition. This is just my opinion. I did not choose to ask questions yesterday. I did not ask Ben if his fish were caught in a river or not. The rules are the rules. I will live by them. But I don't have to like them. Maybe we should think about changing them to maintain the integrity of the Frostbite Shootout Tradition.
Respectfully
Captain Robert Thorne
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: 2014 Shootout Disapointment

Post by raz »

I was quite disappointed as well, but managed to keep a Miller lite glued to my lips to help soften the blow.
I had always feared that day would come where we would see fish that didn't fit the "model" of a feshly caught lake resident Landlocked.
Rules can be put in place, but there will always be folks looking for loop holes or outright cheat for the love of money or an instant of fame. Sad but true.
I'm gonna have to agree with Rob, it may be time to revisit our very simple Sportsman like set of rules.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
FishTherapy
Species: salmon

Post by FishTherapy »

The river salmon that get that look stay in the rivers year round right? I am now glad i had to leave early, I would not have been able to keep my mouth shut and would have had plenty of questions. To all of us that were out in our boats in 4-6 footers we are the true frostbite champs!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

We need to figure out how to ensure fish caught in front of the hatchery can't count. Wish the fish and game folks would declare fishing off limits within 1/4 mile of brook outlet.
Last edited by Reelax on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FishTherapy
Species: salmon

Post by FishTherapy »

I was about to mention the hatchery fish as well Reelax if the weather was better i would have been there with my boat trolling for them not in waders casting for them.... I know that people for the last month or two have been seeing some of the biggest salmon they have seen in this lake there and have been catching them pretty steady.. It still never crossed my mind to fish the frostbite shootout from shore at the hatchery....
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

New rule?
"THE FISH MUST BE BOAT CAUGHT WHILE IN THE ACT OF TROLLING!"
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
tuckhunts87
Species: salmon, lakers, bass, pike

Post by tuckhunts87 »

Never seen a salmon look like that come out of the lake let alone 2 in the same trip. Looked like days dead fish to me
cowboy
Species: lakers/salmon

Post by cowboy »

Yes Thorny, I agree with you 100 percent and believe we have to Tweek the rules bit to keep the tournament a trolling event
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Yesterday was my first Shootout and I'm glad to say that I'm in no pain this morning. I read how Ron described the conditions as the worst he's been in on this lake. By George, I was part of that and have no wounds to show. I need to take the "high road" on this issue and to say that a discussion of such negative proportions shouldn't be expressed on this forum. When there are few rules, this can happen. Did Ben break rules? We don't know. Speculation can hurt for no good reason. I was amazed by the fish that were caught. I asked a couple of questions, but only out of curiosity. It might be wise to set stricter rules in the future, but let's not defame anything in the past. Set rules that work and live with it. If someone finds a loophole and considers themselves a winner, then so be it. Being a winner has nothing to do with catching a fish, but how you are recognized by your fellow sportsmen. I reeled in a 17" 2 pounder, yesterday, and felt pretty darn good about it. Like everyone else, we earned every hit and every fish in the boat. Congrats Ron on a beauty. Thanks to everyone who gathered and made my first shootout a very good memory. :)
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Post by dreamcatcher »

Well everyone I was a little surprise at first but it crossed my mind in the passed of someone bringing in fish from the rivers or lower tribs. at this time of year as there are some big fish in spots to be caught. I myself know some fly fisherman who do not go on this forum and at this time of year catch some pretty nice fish who could probably win this trophy every year. So as said already congrads to Ben with his win.
KEN K.
Phantom (griz)
Species: all

Post by Phantom (griz) »

It's a shame this shootout was tainted with questions. I for one feel that trolling is what the rules should be and in the lake.
dragnballs
Species: if it swims, Iwill fish for it

Post by dragnballs »

Ok so here are my thoughts on this : when I started this derby 6 years ago(Randy took over after the first year)and made that huge list of rules that every one wanted to change as the discussion went on in the days prior to that first one I stood my ground and hoped for the best. The rules were set for this year and that is what it is, as long as Ben was below the first impassible barrier it's fair game, do I agree with it I don't know as I was out there with every one else getting pounded by the waves and wind and to think a guy fishing in a river somewhere won it makes me a little upset.
Ben please tell us the story on those fish and maybe this will be put to rest or Randy will make some changes for next year! Till then congrats Ben!
Kevin
will nolan (swilly)
Species: whatever bites!

Post by will nolan (swilly) »

This was my first year fishing. I don't care about the win. It was an amazing exp braving conditions like those. To launch and then load after all that with no issues. I say it was a success. The meet and greet was the best part for me. It's nice to have so many around as passionate as me about this wonderful sport. Nothing can take that away. I had my on concerns as ive never seen them caught from the lake as well but who knows and noone does so until then I say great job Ben and congrats. Thanks for all the hospitality and for all the invites to fish and participate. As long as I'm in vermont I will continue to support and participate. Thanks for the opportunity. I'll get you boys next year! :-)
Will nolan "swilly"
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Post by fishhuntadventure »

As many of the members know I am not the most seasoned cold water fisherman. But thanks to Al Lamos who took me out on that fateful day a few years ago I got hooked!

As is the case with virtually all my interests, I became obsessive with it. The VPTV show featuring Randy Colomb came up in a search and folks like Instigator, Kevin Dragin'Balls, Crazy Ivan, and Rich Greenough got my addiction confirmed. I was fascinated with this "off season" fishing and determined to fish every month of the year. Over five or six years I have fished year 'round almost every month up until last winter. The ice kept me off after a run of 33 or 34 consecutive months fishing /from/a/boat/ on Lake Champlain. I had done it: I had become a frostbiter. But I am still not as cool as Randy...

It must have been the second Shootout that was my first Shootout. I bought The Hat from Randy. Over the ensuing years I have been proud of that hat! It says it right on the hat: "Frostbite FLEET" as in a fleet of boats in cold weather...

Speaking for myself- I participated in the tourney. I experienced the conditions with an eye for keeping out of trouble, an eye out for anyone else that might of gotten in trouble, and an eye out for 'lake friends' like Heijac, Cas, gecha, and Plantstone at eat-up afterwards. I was there for the comraderie, the sport of it, and the element of adventure (aka "calculated risk). Wicked glad I was.

Saddened, however, that this year there are sour grapes. A gentleman's start; should be a gentleman's finish. This is the first year there has been any hard feelings! But I think the sour grapes are appropriate - the Frostbite Salmon Shootout celebrates the start of the Frostbite Fleet season: Trolling from boats in three-footers with the occasional fiver thrown in to keep you on your game! Near dangerous conditions for some of us.

We mighta had one 22-ish but it jettisoned 15' from the boat. But I am pretty proud of both the boated and early releases. As should be the others in the Fleet. For THIS tournament I agree: no troll, no trophy. And a gentleman's finish.
Sea Hare
Species: all species

Post by Sea Hare »

I too agree that this tourney should be for anglers who brave the elements in a boat to troll for the biggest salmon. The rules for next season should be specific about that. I would like to hear Ben's story of how and where he caught those fish. Any witnesses to his catch would be welcome to post their version as well. It's unfortunate that the integrity, or lack thereof should enter in a gentleman's event.
Congrats to all those who ventured out in hostile weather and returned safe..

Jon
It's not just a unit of measure !