Thanks to All that Helped Me - 5/31 at Converse Launch

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Thanks to All that Helped Me - 5/31 at Converse Launch

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Sorry I dont remeber all your names - maybe because I was in a stroke condition, but thank you all for helping me out in a time of need , for helping me off the boat, and waiting for Charlotte Rescue with me. One of you is the Hinesburg Fire Chief - a lucky bonus when you're in trouble. It was happening as I was trailering to take out. My fishing partner went to get the truck and trailer. I was steering into the trailer under power when I realized what was happening. I shouted in a slurred speech that I was having a stroke, stunning everyone at first. But I was able to get trailered and rescue was on it's way.

And special thanks to my fishing partner Mike Deslandes for helping to get the Black Ghost and my dog Birdie home safely. Sorry I freaked you out Mike.

So any way I came home today with work to do on my right hand. The last two days were remarkable going from no hand control to gradual limited mobility. I actually got on my bicycle, tied a fly on my fly rod, made a few back yard casts, shot a basketball with my daughter, started the lawn mower, and pushed it around a few times. None of it was pretty and I've got a long ways to go.

And of course thanks to my wife Sherry to help me see my potential for recovery.

The good thing is that I'll take a little R&R with a fishing pole for rehab.

Take care everyone.
Black Ghost (Ken)
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Re: Thanks to All that Helped Me - 5/31 at Converse Launch

Post by flyguy »

Ken, Very glad to hear that you are on the mend. A stroke is a VERY SCARY thing! Just goes to show what a great bunch of guys (and gals) we have with LCU. Sportsmen sticking together to help each other. I feel as though if I were in a tough situation, I could give a shout on 68 and get some help from one of us, no matter the situation. I know that I would certainly do the same for any one of us. Good luck with the re-hab, and good luck fishing while you're doing it!
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Wishing you a speedy recovery Ken. Hang in there
Bill
Bill
"POINTER"
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Post by cpmaple »

Hope you have a speedy recovery and all goes good. Very scary for sure and we are one big family on LCU were are all here for one another for sure tight lines and get well chad (cpmaple)
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Very frightening story Ken. Glad people came to the rescue quickly. A good lesson about going out alone on the water something some of us take for granted. Praying for a speedy recovery Ken.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Glad to hear you're on the mend. You handled it very well. You knew something wasn't right and responded. We'll pray for a complete recovery. Fred
4cs
Species: Salmon, Trout

Post by 4cs »

Wow scary story and time is of the essence with a stroke, glad you're ok and good luck with the rehab.

Pat
Crazy Ivan Lures

http://www.crazyivanlures.com/

Eat, Sleep, Fish and then a Crown Royal
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

Take care Ken and recover well (and fast). Good luck, the fishing rehab program sounds like just the thing.
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

That's a pretty scary story indeed. Good to hear there were people around to help out in your time of need. Speedy recovery
________
Mike
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Wow, I missed this. Glad you are doing better Ken. I always wear a life jacket when fishing solo, just in case. Be diligent with PT and I hope you'll be back soon. Sounds promising! Glad people were able and willing to help, though that doesn't surprise me at all!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

WOW what a story.. Glad to hear your getting better Ken... Thanks for the update
Matt B
will nolan (swilly)
Species: whatever bites!

Post by will nolan (swilly) »

Glad your ok
Will nolan "swilly"
early bird
Species: cold water

Post by early bird »

WOW Ken...'So glad to hear you're on the mend! I'd like to ditto what Pat said in that time is of the essence with a stroke. The "Golden Hour" is truly golden. I'm very proud to be a member of this fishing community for this very reason. It wasn't too long ago that YOU got me back to shore when I needed help. I'm sure we're all in agreement that a heartfelt "THANKS" goes out to everyone involved in getting you to definitive care when you needed it most, along with taking care of all your other needs at the launch.
Best of luck to you and I look forward to seeing you out on the water soon.

Tim
homewrecker
Species: salmon,mermaids

Post by homewrecker »

Ken sorry to hear this but glad you are on the mend, godspeed and Fish on!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Wishing you a safe and speedy recovery.
I know exactly how you feel, as I experienced the same thing last summer while fishing.
Mending takes time, but the warning you got is telling you to be careful and to appreciate every moment life is giving you.

Glad you got quick help. We are all a big family and look after each other.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)