Weekend at the Big O w/ Dave's Boat 7.25 / Fish Doctor 7.26

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
digitroll (ron)

Weekend at the Big O w/ Dave's Boat 7.25 / Fish Doctor 7.26

Post by digitroll (ron) »

The idea was hatched back in early March to reconnect with the Fish Doctor on July 26th with Capt. Ernie. It had been 12 years since I had taken a weekend class in March and later that July fished on a on-water class on the Fish Doctor with some people from that class I met in March at Ernie's. The date we picked was the last day of the Summer LOC derby which we all entered that ended at 1 pm the same time our 8 hour charter would end.

My brother in law Tom Pilon with Dave McGinnis and Gerry Pecor were all in! Dave thought of bringing his beautiful 23.5 ft 1 year old Wellcraft Cuddy so we could drive over on Saturday and fish the afternoon before the charter with the Fish Doctor on Sunday. They would fish Monday - Tuesday as well. Tom and I would come back Sunday afternoon was the plan.

With any plan for a one or two day trip there is always the fear of a blow off. When the time came it was really looking good for the weekend with 1 ft or less seas on the Oswego marine forecast. Our gamble had come to fruition with a fabulous forecast.

Left at 4:30 am and arrived at the Catfish Creek launch at 10:30 am. Launched the boat around 11:15 and had the lines down by noon after motoring out to 200 feet of water on a northwest heading about 3 miles. We had heard from some of the charters that the bite had been tough coming into the marina where we launched with most boats landing two kings. Well it was a shakedown and an afternoon challenge with the weather nice we were jacked up. We found the temp. break down at 100 feet around 56 degrees. Set-up a program of flasher / flies and spoons. The first rod in the water was a SWR lead rig set at 100 feet. It was running 20 feet lower with 3 colors of lead. The rod went off and the ice was broken after 10 minutes with a 6 lb. immature king for Gerry on one of my favorite Bar lures the "Spook". The next 5 hours was very slow washing lures. Around 5:30 pm the evening bite turned on and we had 4-5 bites in an hour and landed 2 matures 15 and 17 lbs. All on Mag spoons around the 100 foot mark. We quit around 7:00 pm and after 7 hours of our shakedown we felt good about our effort and were ready for the next morning on the Fish Doctor.

Dave's Boat:

Tom's fish:

Dave's fish:

Our catch:

FISH DOCTOR CHARTER 5 am - 1 pm Sunday July 26th:

The next day we met Ernie at slip 21 at the Oswego marina at 5 am sharp with very high expectations with a super forecast with cloudy skies for most of the 8 hours and a 1 foot chop. We motored out on the 28 ft. Baja 1 mile out of the harbor to 130 feet of water and Capt. Ernie set up a 4 rigger program with two mag. dipsies. Things were a little quiet the first hour and the second hour the fish became very cooperative for the next 2 hours as we had a dozen bites and landed 5 Kings + very nice Steelhead on a variety of flasher flies and spoons. Then things slowed for an hour when the sun came out. Ernie put out 3 rods of copper per side on his triple boards. It became foggy and cloudy the last few hours when we had a few more bites and the largest King came in at the very end around 12:15 pm on a 300 ft. copper rod at 22.5 lbs caught by Dave on a spoon.

It was a fantastic 8 hours and our crew had a good time! We hit the road at 2 pm and Dave and Gerry are out today and tomorrow with 1 ft or less forecast seas to follow up with the weekends effort out of Catfish Creek where they had a cabin and dockage.

Thanks to Capt. Ernie for a great adventure and an A+ effort for us on his charter boat. We are looking at making this an annual trip on the Fish Doctor we all agreed! Good luck Dave and Gerry today and tomorrow!

5 am. ready to board:

I was first up on the rod:

Gerry's first fish:

Dave's first fish:

My fine Steelhead:

Dave's big guy:

Tom and Ernie:

VIDEOS:

Gerry on the rod (video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad-Nr7hGH2c

Dave on the rod (video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9SnRErit6Y
Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom (griz)
Species: all

Re: Weekend at the Big O w/ Dave's Boat 7.25 / Fish Doctor 7

Post by Phantom (griz) »

Great trip and read Ron.I can't wait for my trip in 3 weeks. Griz
Shaye D Winds

Post by Shaye D Winds »

Ron,
Enjoyed the play by play over the weekend. it is getting me anxious for the week we go.

Don
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great report Ron and superb videos. Thanks for sharing your exciting weekend with us.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
lazycs

Post by lazycs »

Fun trip Ron, good to feel the pull in the middle of summer.
How where them little meat eating flies, Ernie must be immune to them to be wearing shorts they love ankles lol..
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Looks and sounds like you guys had a great time over there Ron!!! I have never had anything but a good time in oswego fishing and otherwise!!! Thanks for a great report!!! Sleeps
digitroll (ron)

Mike,

There was just enough of a breeze to keep the little meat flies away. There was a period of a few hours towards the end when it calmed down the little buggers came out just a little bit.
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Post by dreamcatcher »

That can get you fired up! Heading over the end of next month can't wait. Thanks Ron for the posting. :)
KEN K.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

thanks for the pics . hoping to get over there soon.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Had a great chat today with Ron. He narrated the video of the "big" one. Felt like I was there. He should be in sales. :) Capt. Ernie definitely runs a great charter. Happy faces and nice fish. As good as it gets.
digitroll (ron)

Recent investment for 2016. They say the proof is in the pudding. After seeing how productive fishing with copper can be it was one of the many reasons I reunited with Capt. Ernie with friends back in late July. Pictured with those two 300' copper rods are a Church Walleye board and a Super planer board. 2 more stealthy presentations to put out when the bite becomes challenging. Looking forward to the Bar in 2016 and another late July weekend trip to Catfish fishing on Dave's boat Saturday in the pm followed by the Fish Doctor on Sunday am. :)

Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice rods. They deserve some good fighting fish.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
digitroll (ron)

Thanks Gerry! Always nice to have options.

Check out these September Kings the Fish Doctor crew recently caught! Bright and silver like it was July! Looking forward to 2016!!!!!

vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

Hey Ron, hose are nice September kings for sure. Mac and I did well there in early August.

I loaded my 300's on Tekotas, I love the smooth drags. I know in-lines are trendy but I don't like having stuff on the lines (just personal preference) when fighting fish so I just run them from my Otters. I do/have used inlines...
digitroll (ron)

I have both delivery systems ie. Super ski and masts.....but I leave the big lumber home since I am just putting out one copper per side. I was really impressed with our friends on Lake Huron who use a walleye board with 10 colors of lead on one side and one 300' copper on the other side. If I was running more than one I would go with the mast and boards. I like to keep it simple. It's like Chevy vs Ford it's whatever one likes. In the end the job gets done. :)

The late July bite was fun and can't wait till next year to try it again with Capt. Ernie on Saturday am and then Dave's boat on a Saturday evening and Sunday morning. We will sign up again for the Summer LOC derby. I think it's now the month of July. They changed the schedule.