Update.... Oak is on fire now!

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
digitroll (ron)

Update.... Oak is on fire now!

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Mark Romanack and son Jake of fishing 411 made a quick 48 hour trip from Cadillac, Michigan last week to take advantage of a fantastic bite at the Bar. It's an 8 hour trip similar to us in early May from Vermont.

A whirlwind trip to Lake Ontario proved to be some of the best salmon fishing we have experienced in years. Jake and I only had Tuesday and Wednesday morning to fish, but managed to boat dozens (yes dozens) of salmon including fish in every year class and a monster 25 pounder to sweeten the deal! To be honest the fishing reminded me of the good ole days of salmon fishing on Lake Michigan. We fished out of Lewiston, NY and targeted fish along the Niagara Bar in water from about 100 to 150 feet. We caught fish on spoons, Mag Lip plugs, rotators and flies, but overwhelmingly the best presentation turned out to be rotators with herring meat rigs. On the first day we only ran three meat rigs and on the second day we bumped up to six. The action in return was so fast we could barely keep our lines in the water. Best depths were 70-80 down and we caught fish from 2.0 to 2.5 MPH at the ball thanks to Fish Hawk. Downriggers, Slide-Divers and Weighted Steel set ups all produced equally well. Special thanks to Matt Yablonsky of #wetnetcharters@hotmail.com for encouraging us to make such a spontaneous trip. To say the salmon fishing on Lake Ontario is good right now is an understatement. It's off the charts good.
Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Re: Niagara Bar on fire last week of June!

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Salmons are on fire on LO!
Hugues caught over 30 fishs yesterday
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Some nice sized fish beingvposted out there!
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Can an 18.5 Ft deep V Boat be used on OT. It works ok on Champlain most days but the 4 to 6 Footers
are just to much.
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

Sawyer wrote:Can an 18.5 Ft deep V Boat be used on OT. It works ok on Champlain most days but the 4 to 6 Footers
are just to much.
Doesn't matter what size as each day is different. You have to pay attetion to the marine forecasts and use sites like windfinder.com. the key is to plan a week, pick your days and be flexable. Being prepared for multi species fishing helps when you can't get out.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

How far out do you go to find such good fishing?
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

Sawyer wrote:How far out do you go to find such good fishing?
The bar was 50' to 4 miles.... i am no expert on the great lakes but i know it all depends on how the wind effected the water the days before you fished. I think of it as 90% of the fish will be in 10% of the water. Or you can do what i did on the last trip...get some great info from some forum members...pull into the launch with "Matty" and tell him to go chat with those fellows loading up that Fishing rig and do what you do.... wasn't 2 minutes before they both realized we he shared friends back home and had the depth and genreal areas where they were
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Hairbone wrote:
Sawyer wrote:How far out do you go to find such good fishing?
The bar was 50' to 4 miles.... i am no expert on the great lakes but i know it all depends on how the wind effected the water the days before you fished. I think of it as 90% of the fish will be in 10% of the water. Or you can do what i did on the last trip...get some great info from some forum members...pull into the launch with "Matty" and tell him to go chat with those fellows loading up that Fishing rig and do what you do.... wasn't 2 minutes before they both realized we he shared friends back home and had the depth and genreal areas where they were
x2 harry
those freinds were vt matts and were very helpful and honest with us.
Last edited by fishy1 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

this post has me very exicted and wish i was out there.
THANKS RON FOR POSTING YOU WERE ALSO VERY HELPFUL ON HARRY AND MY SALMON TRIP TO NIAGARA BAR.
digitroll (ron)

Update...Oak is on fire now!

The way to cure a very slow season on Champlain and feeling the salmon blues is a trip to the western end of Lake Ontario and hear reels zinging and emptying your reel! There has been some great reports on Facebook with Crazy Yankee Charters and daily videos from Reel Excitement Charters. I am adding another trip to Lake O this season. :) Don't wait till next Spring.... Get out there now! Go west young man!

The Oak has been on fire in the past week. Stupid fishing! I think you can catch them on a daredevil!

Captain Bob Songin's "Reel Excitement Charters" out of the Oak and his daily Facebook video report from July 12th:

https://www.facebook.com/24910031525617 ... 805125085/

Webcam from this morning:

Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Re: Update.... Oak is on fire now!

Post by Dirtyhooker »

Seeing good reports and fish weighed into summer derby Lakewide west end will do nothing but improve in the coming weeks even seeing reports of teen Kings off finger in Henderson now I just need this broken wrist to heal it's been 4 weeks since I have had a rod in my hand and the withdraws are getting hard to take
So many Lures So little Time
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Post by Dirtyhooker »

Sawyer wrote:Can an 18.5 Ft deep V Boat be used on OT. It works ok on Champlain most days but the 4 to 6 Footers
are just to much.
I run a 19' centerconsole I like Mexico bay because if it is too rough to fish the main lake you have perch in Henderson harbor 40 mins away that is protected or Oneida to the south for eyes so there is always fishing to be found
So many Lures So little Time
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

Icedawg wrote:Seeing good reports and fish weighed into summer derby Lakewide west end will do nothing but improve in the coming weeks even seeing reports of teen Kings off finger in Henderson now I just need this broken wrist to heal it's been 4 weeks since I have had a rod in my hand and the withdraws are getting hard to take
Get better soon Scott....you can come along and drive the boat for us :mrgreen: we can fill the cooler with your limit also :D. Turned some work down so i am hopefull i have time to go west!
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

get better soon scott!!!!actually guys salmon fishing is good from one end of the lake to the other,good to great reports out of every port.something i have not been able to say for 3 years,at least not in mexico bay.an easy winter and consistent westerly winds this year has let the lake set up and it has brought the salmon east.quite a few big fish around also.we grabbed a 26+ pounder friday while pre-fishing for the oswego pro-am on my buddies boat and won big fish friday and the 1k a day.numerous 20+ pounders coming in.if anyone is thinking about coming down,this is shaping up to be the year to do it.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
digitroll (ron)

That is great news about the east end! Some nice LOC Summer entries. I have a brother in law who had shoulder surgery in early may and is just beginning physical therapy. He has a long road before he can fish again. 4 weeks will go by fast Scott!