conserve water for salmon and closed fly fishing section.

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
fishy1
Species: many species

conserve water for salmon and closed fly fishing section.

Post by fishy1 »

DEC Announces Water Conservation Measures to Maintain Salmon River Flows

Reduced Releases from Salmon River Reservoir to Conserve Water

Drought Forces Temporary Closure of Lower Fly Section to Protect Salmon Run

Ongoing drought conditions in the Salmon River watershed have forced Brookfield Renewable in collaboration with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to reduce the amount of water released to the Salmon River from the Salmon River Reservoir starting Thursday, September 29.

In addition, DEC will close the Lower Fly Fishing Area on the Salmon River in conjunction with the reduced flows. This closure applies only to the Lower Fly Area, and the remainder of the 13-plus miles of the river accessible to the public will remain open.

"New York's fish hatchery system is a vital part of our effort to sustain our popular and economically important recreational fisheries," said DEC Commissioner Basil Seggos. "The reduced water flows and closure will help ensure that adequate numbers of salmon enter DEC's Salmon River Hatchery in order to provide eggs for salmon stocking that support Lake Ontario and tributary fisheries."

A 2007 study estimated the value of these fisheries to New York State's economy at $12.9 million. DEC is concerned that unintentional fishing mortality of Pacific Salmon could impact egg take operations if too much water is released.

The ¼-mile section of the Salmon River that comprises the Lower Fly Fishing Area is located immediately downstream of the Salmon River Hatchery and upstream of the County Rt. 52 Bridge in Altmar. The upper boundary of the area is just downstream from Beaverdam Brook. This location is a staging area for various species of fish, including Chinook and coho salmon, as they prepare to enter the hatchery via Beaverdam Brook. The closure will remain in effect as long as flow reductions are necessary.

Flows will be increased as soon as rainfall patterns change and reservoir water levels necessary to maintain these flows are restored. The Lower Fly Area will be reopened when flows permit and Salmon River Hatchery egg-take operations are completed.

Should salmon returns to the hatchery be inadequate, DEC has developed a contingency plan to secure additional salmon eggs from other Lake Ontario tributaries. Further information on these actions can be obtained by contacting the DEC Fisheries Unit in Cortland at fwfish7@dec.ny.gov or by phone at (607) 753-3095.
finsntins
Species: salmon

Re: conserve water for salmon and closed fly fishing section.

Post by finsntins »

we go past the resevoir every weekend on our way out to the lake,the only water left in the resevoir is the original river that goes through,from what we can see from the road,i have never seen it that low!!!!even the lake is very low right now,some of the bigger inboard boats are having a hard time getting out of the little salmon,i saw some spots heading out this past weekend that were under 3 feet deep,glad i have outboards.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

finsntins wrote:we go past the resevoir every weekend on our way out to the lake,the only water left in the resevoir is the original river that goes through,from what we can see from the road,i have never seen it that low!!!!even the lake is very low right now,some of the bigger inboard boats are having a hard time getting out of the little salmon,i saw some spots heading out this past weekend that were under 3 feet deep,glad i have outboards.
how is the fishing ?
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

we have not been doing much fishing,just had the new boat delivered a few weeks ago and she isnt rigged up yet,but we try to get out for a few hours,just to get used to it and see how she is going to troll and get familiar with the electronics,last sunday while we were out,a buddy of mine was trolling right next to us and picked up a nice king and dropped one.fish are inside 50 fow now.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

finsntins wrote:we have not been doing much fishing,just had the new boat delivered a few weeks ago and she isnt rigged up yet,but we try to get out for a few hours,just to get used to it and see how she is going to troll and get familiar with the electronics,last sunday while we were out,a buddy of mine was trolling right next to us and picked up a nice king and dropped one.fish are inside 50 fow now.
congratulations on your new boat got a pic.