staging kings henderson bay

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
hard knox
Species: salmon

staging kings henderson bay

Post by hard knox »

planing a diy trip for staging kings in beginning of September and i was thinking i would go to henderson bay due to black river dumps into lake ontario there and it looks somewhat sheltered and there appears to be a state park and boat ramp there as well.any helpful advice on this area and type of fishing would be greatly appreciated thanks .
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Re: staging kings henderson bay

Post by Hairbone »

check out all of the material for Bill Saiff outdoors.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Popular time out there, you better book now.... If you still can find an opening...
Matt B
lazycs

Post by lazycs »

while there are king salmon in all waters of lake ontario, you'd be better off booking a charter with someone out of either oswego or little salmon river areas where the biggest concentration of salmon are. there are forum members here that charter out of these ports. don't believe they stock the black river anymore with kings, not that the current won't attract them there.

like hairbone says Saiff charters would be the go to in that area.
finsntins

Post by finsntins »

if you are coming down for just a day,you may be better off taking a charter like was stated above,although salmon should be staging,the past 2 seasons have been anything,but normal.and this year is shaping up to be the same,still no numbers in mexico bay,so who knows what september will bring.i cant help you out with info.in henderson,but if you decide to try mexico bay,let me know,i will help you out best i can.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Henderson was a great destination in the early to mid eighties. Protection from the North and South winds from Stoney Island to the north and out to the lighthouse (point) from the south. They still catch a few fish there but as others have pointed out the salmon river area has been a tough bite these last few years. Either destination would be a coin toss with a good vote for a charter.
hard knox

Post by hard knox »

thanks for the info i am in malone so the drive is only 2.5 hours and i am planning to fish 2 days 3 if its good plus i will be happy catching other cold water fish as well. just started fishing champlain last fall and have caught a lot of nice fish so i kind of like the challenge of figuring it out.thanks again
Fishmedic
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by Fishmedic »

PM sent
To fish or not to fish ??
What a Dumb question !!!
hard knox

Post by hard knox »

so i have been out to henderson 3 times and have had pretty good luck have caught a couple big browns 6 lbbs and 7.5 lbs 1 coho and 8 kings biggest so far was 28lbs .Launch at town launch and fish the trench only about 2 mile boat run lots of kings just need thermo to be consistent to have a hot bight no lakers due to temp fluctuations .Glade i decided to do it on my own i have gone 3 times and only runs me around 100.oo dollars in fuel for truck and boat per trip and i just sleep in my truck and fish a day and a half . I will say the kings are a blast first run they can take over 500 feet of line before slowing down and i did catch a double hookup solo . :D Cant what for spring ice out they catch alot of big browns there and so will i .
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

hard knox wrote:so i have been out to henderson 3 times and have had pretty good luck have caught a couple big browns 6 lbbs and 7.5 lbs 1 coho and 8 kings biggest so far was 28lbs .Launch at town launch and fish the trench only about 2 mile boat run lots of kings just need thermo to be consistent to have a hot bight no lakers due to temp fluctuations .Glade i decided to do it on my own i have gone 3 times and only runs me around 100.oo dollars in fuel for truck and boat per trip and i just sleep in my truck and fish a day and a half . I will say the kings are a blast first run they can take over 500 feet of line before slowing down and i did catch a double hookup solo . :D Cant what for spring ice out they catch alot of big browns there and so will i .
good report and you did well solo to. looking forward to getting out there next spring myself for those browns.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Outstanding report! Great to see someone making fishing reports instead of chasing reports :mrgreen:
hard knox

Post by hard knox »

So i had to do it and went 1 more time the fishing has slowed as they are father up the river but still caught a few ended up with 12 kings ,2 browns ,1 coho and some white fish largest king 34 lbs and was 40 inchs long 24 inch girth .would like to get it mounted but it is like 800.00 bucks :shock:
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Post by riverrunner »

Bring it to Doug Yasner in Burlington. He could probly do better than 800, and I gaurentee you it will bee the best mount you have ever seen
hard knox

Post by hard knox »

thanks for the info riverrunner