LOC Fall derby 2015 summary

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
digitroll (ron)

LOC Fall derby 2015 summary

Post by digitroll (ron) »

27 lbs at 20th place. 30 lbs. 11 oz. at the top. Only 3 fish breaking 30 lbs after 10 days. The trend has been smaller kings the last few years.

http://loc.org/uploads/15_Fall_Leaderboard.pdf
Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: LOC Derby standings day 10 of 17 days.

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Always fun to be on the water... regardless of the fish size
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
digitroll (ron)

That's true Gerry!

I was talking to Capt. Ernie about that subject and his thought was the larger fish don't make it up to the hatchery due to the continued practice of snagging in the Fall.
bigfish
Species: salmon

Post by bigfish »

Their is no snagging of salmon legally anymore.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

True, but spend any Saturday in September on the banks of the river and you might see one legally hooked salmon out of 50 fish landed - maybe even closer to one in 75. To quote a local fishing icon who told me a few years ago, "What the hell eats a sponge? Nothing eats a sponge!"
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Bearcat wrote:True, but spend any Saturday in September on the banks of the river and you might see one legally hooked salmon out of 50 fish landed - maybe even closer to one in 75. To quote a local fishing icon who told me a few years ago, "What the hell eats a sponge? Nothing eats a sponge!"

I can attest to that. You could literally watch 100 fish being taken out of the Salmon River illegally every few hours if you covered enough ground. I'm sure it's the same with any river that has a run of kings, even the creeks. This is exactly why the DSR makes a killing, because people go there to target fresh kings that were just in the lake 20 minutes before slamming a fly/lure. The State is doing better with regulating it, but there's just so many anglers to watch over...
digitroll (ron)

The LOC derby finished today on day 17. Amazing stat: 1st place Steel / Brown / King all brought in yesterday on day 16. The King was the grand prize winning $25K. 31 lb. 11 oz. Nice fish on the Loc website.

loc.org